Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Shimano shoes, is it still a size up ?
  • downthemiddle
    Free Member

Hi, was thinking about getting a pair of Shimano shoes, these in fact

Just wondered if anyone had these and the old Shimano / Sidi principle of ordering a size up still held true. I have had older Shimano shoes and always took a 43 in them, for my normal 42 sized feet.
    Also looking at the Mavic Alpine XL, any thoughts

clubber
    Free Member

I always seem to take size 48 cycling shoes, including my current Shimanos.

I take a 12 in ‘normal’ shoes which is a 47 (officially 47 but I find that the shoes marked as 12 can sometimes be 46).

andytherocketeer

My old ones that need replacing are 47, but I take 45.
    Bike24 say to go up 1 size number (both on English and German page, so I’m guessing that’s +1 euro size).
    And a mix of user comments/reviews say either they’re right or go up a size.

so… which should I pick… 45, 46 or 47, or lucky dip ? Not that model Shimano, but another, in my case.

(Ditto for Mavic Alpine or similar)

Jamie
    Free Member

Shimano XC50N here, bought last year, and went for 44. Size 9 in regular shoes. So I guess that’s a .5 size up.

I ordered a couple of pairs from Wiggle so I would be sure of sizing, then just sent back the others with Collect+ for nowt.

rocketman
    Free Member

these in fact

Have been disappointed with my M162s they’re light and stiff but quite fragile and that’s not through crashing them to death just normal fair weather trail use

Usually a 46 trainer and 46 M162s were great when they were new but they’re all baggy and loose now

smurfly13
    Free Member

I ordered a size up 44 to 45 as 44 far too tight!!

djflexure

I found them variable – MW80 winter boots were tight in a 45 while I swim in the AM45’s, same size. Neither fit me really.

davosaurusrex

I’m a 47 and have the M162s in a 47, perfect fit. Mine have had a reasonable amount of use, 800ish off road miles and are still fine. Love them, best shoes I’ve owned

cp

AS above, in general go up a European size, which is roughly half a UK size.

they do some models in wide fitting which i find means i don’t need to go up in size

downthemiddle
    Free Member

Have been disappointed with my M162s they’re light and stiff but quite fragile and that’s not through crashing them to death just normal fair weather trail use

OK thats interesting. I had a pair of Shimano that just wont die, and equally I had a pair of Shimano shoes that fell apart in no time. So was hoping as these are billed as Trail shoes they’d be tougher. maybe not, thanks for the heads up. Might start looking at the mavic’s then

clubber
    Free Member

I can recommend the XC50N – they’re actually waterproof (up to the ankle!) but don’t seem to be any hotter in summer.

townydc
    Free Member

i went 2 sizes, normal size 43, shimano and specialized size 45, gives me room to wiggle a bit…….

Jamie
    Free Member

I can recommend the XC50N – they’re actually waterproof (up to the ankle!) but don’t seem to be any hotter in summer.

Good to know. As I was worried, while they have been excellent in floodmageddon, they might be too hot in the summer.

rocketman
    Free Member

So was hoping as these are billed as Trail shoes they’d be tougher

Yup that’s what I thought. They haven’t actually started to fall to bits but the uppers have become very flexible – there’s no support in them and it feels as though the straps are the only things keeping them on

thorpie
    Free Member

Yep. Size 42 feet, 43 in Shimano.

failedengineer

Another recommendation for the XC50Ns here. Definitely not too hot in Summer and warmer in Winter than other shoes. Mine are 44 and I usually take a 42/43.

townydc
    Free Member

I wanted a pair of AM45’s and wasn’t sure of the sizing as they looked quite a wide shoe. I went to my local Evans Cycles, tried on a 44 and realised they were too tight so I tried a 45, perfect fit…..then went home and ordered them from CRC for a cheaper price… 😀

clubber
    Free Member

Jamie – I’ve ridden them in 35 degrees in Turkey and didn’t notice them being hotter than any other shoe.

downthemiddle
    Free Member

All good advice, Cheers
    Anyone got the Mavic Alpine XL’s ? What do they size up like, dont have a local stockist to try on with ?

rOcKeTdOg

I bought a 45 (size 10ish) for my size 10 feet but they were so big the cleat wouldn’t adjust to my sweet spot so sold them, bought some specialized ones that are spot on

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Shimano shoes, is it still a size up ?’ is closed to new replies.