Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • shimano road front mech compatability
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I need a new front mech for my commuter which has 105 shifters that are about 8 years old. I’ve seen this on ebay and various other sites Shimano 105 FD-5700 Double 10 Speed Front Mech but it states ‘For use with 105 ST-5700 or Ultegra ST-6700 shifters only for optimum shifting performance’.

Now I’m guessing that the cable pull must be different on these shifters but I’m also guesing it should still work – just that the shifting may not be at its ‘optimum’.

Any ideas?

andyl
    Free Member

if the pull is different it won’t work. Every shift will get things slightly more and more out of sync. No amount of fettling will make it right.

But I do recall that the road shifters might be the same cable pull.

Gary_M
    Free Member

mmm I’m kinda at a loss what to buy then.

andyl
    Free Member

just realised it’s front and only a double, sorry, still not awake. FD should be the same pull and if you only have a double then get a double one for the best fit.

njee20
    Free Member

They did tweak the front mech pull, it will work, but as you rightly say, it’s not optimal. Andy’s point about “every shift” is fairly irrelevant, it’s going up and down!

You need a 5600, 6600 or 7800 serise front mech for optimum shifting. I may have one if you struggle.

Edit: Andy’s starting to wake up, but is still wrong, they’re not the same, although they will work.

Edit edit: here’s one

Gary_M
    Free Member

£31.99!!, found one on ebay for £17.99.

But as you say its only two shifts so can’t imagine it would be that far out.

andyl
    Free Member

yeah I was thinking it was the shifters he was replacing 😳

If it’s only a double it’s only 1 shift each way. I thought they would have kept the pull the same on the road front as they did with the mtb front.

Would a sram FD be compatible? I’ve got Ultegra 10 speed on my road bike but has a Sram FD. Built by a friend for me and that was all he had and it seems to work perfect.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Would a sram FD be compatible?

Dunno but I couldn’t mix sram and shimano – it’s morally wrong 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

so are road bikes 😉

njee20
    Free Member

If it’s only a double it’s only 1 shift each way. I thought they would have kept the pull the same on the road front as they did with the mtb front.

Yes, that’s the bit where you’re wrong.

It’s a subtle change, and it will work, but they did change.

SRAM front mech (or FSA) will work, again, not 100%, but plenty good enough.

so are road bikes

And yet here you are replying to this thread 🙄

andyl
    Free Member

it was tongue in cheek 🙄

torsoinalake
    Free Member

This site is helpful for figuring out what goes with what.

http://www.celebrazio.net/bicycling/shimano_compatibility.html

edhornby

I would bet that the current 10sp tiagra front mechs will have the same pull ratio as they inherited the 5700 designs, 15quid from ribble

merlin have the ultegra one for 19 quid…

Gary_M
    Free Member

yeh the ultegra one isn’t the right size.

Haze

Missed what shifters you have but I have a 5700 FD working with 5600 STI…

Gary_M
    Free Member

No idea which shifters, they’re around 9 year old 105, not sure what the code is. I’ve bought now anyway, if its doesn’t work well I’ll stick it on ebay.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘shimano road front mech compatability’ is closed to new replies.