Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Shimano PD-M530 platform Spuds – anyone using 'em?
  • binners

I was using Xpedo platform Spd’s but managed to break ’em. So I’m looking for another set of platform SPD’s

I was looking at XT’s, but noticed the PD-M530’s. They’re cheap as chips. Is anyone using them? Just wondering whether to just get a set of these instead of over double the price for the XT’s

doesn’t look much to justify the price difference to me

I’m not arsed about weight. They’re being hung on a set of Holzfeller cranks and a Howitzer bottom bracket, so its a bit late to come over all weight weenie 😀

Your words of wisdom please, oh wise ones

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve been using the deore ones for about 4 months now, they get used every day for commuting to work and occasionely I take the bike to the FOD and run the V trail. Its on a rigid ss so it gets some force through them.

I was concerned at first because they are ‘trekking’ pedals? and thought they would break under some proper use, but I’ve been impressed so far.

The main reason I wanted a single sided pedal was for jumping on the bike for a quick local run in trainers and they are comfy for that aswell.

Deffinately going to buy another set if/when these give up (probably in silver next time though as the black rubs off quickly).

I am in 2 minds about getting a set for the full susser, but I don’t know if they’d be up to that level of abuse?

I’ll keep an eye on this thread and see if any one has dared to.

Ps I’m 80kg + kit, and don’t always have both wheels on the ground.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

the pdm530s are double sided, yours are a different pedal

prezet
    Free Member

Not ridden them myself – think I’m going to try some of these next:

nbt

I did uses platform SPDs for a while then thought – why? I only ever ride clipped in. Riding unclipped on SPDs is horrible. Just get some PD520s and be done with

MrTall
    Free Member

I have a set that i’ve used with no problems. I had exactly the same dilemma as you and in the end i couldn’t justify the difference in price so bought the cheaper ones.

IIRC they won the best pedal in the WMB awards this year.

I’m around 100kg kitted up and they’ve not missed a beat, same as all the other SPD’s i’ve got.

I did however think they’d have a bit of ‘float’ like the M647(?) pictured above but they are fixed, but then so are the XT ones.

Paulio
    Free Member

I use PD-M530s, mainly on my commuter but they also get swapped onto the proper bike from time to time.

Really easy to get your foot into (I think the platform makes a difference), only as susceptible to clogging as other Shimano SPD pedals and they are still spinning smoothly after daily use in all weathers for about 6 months. The only thing that isn’t great is the squeak that has developed which will only go away with a bit of 3-in-1 to the spring bit of the mechanism!

Can’t comment on the XT versions but I don’t know what they could do better than these other than be a bit lighter. I’ll probably get another set for a new bike I’m building up.

binners

I’m using Shimano M540’s at the moment Jules. Which I had kicking about. But I prefer an SPD with a platform. Its just a personal preference. I like having that bit more support under my foot

The Xpedo’s were great pedals! I’d have another pair, but they proved a bit lightweight for constant grit-covered cack-handed(cack-footed?)abuse. They didn’t last long, and they’re not cheap! I’m thinking the Shimano’s will be a bit more durable

Thanks Mr Tall and Paulio – thats what I was after. Think I’ll just order a pair. You can pick ’em up for twenty notes now. So if we don’t get on, its no great shakes. I just can’t see the XT being worth twice the money

PaulD
    Free Member

At the risk of being banned on here, check out WMB for a 6-month subscription for £22 and getting a free pair of M530 platforms free.

PaulD

rwc03
    Free Member

I got the xt version for cheap and I really like them, you can pootle down to the shops in trainers with them but I wouldn’t want to do any great distance without being clipped in. I noticed the bearings ease up over the first 100 miles and they now run very smooth. I’ve had the DX version, but I don’t think they provide any real benefit over the trail version. They are very tough but they are very heavy.

Can’t give you any feedback about the m530s but from what I’ve heard they’re very good for the price. I went for the trail type as they’ve got a slightly larger contact area and the cage provides a bit more mechanism protection.

binners

Cheers for that PaulD. That seems like a pretty good deal. Thanks!

docrobster
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the pd-m530s (top pic 1st post)on one bike since about last october and a pair of the DX (prezet’s post) on the other bike for a couple of years. I’m coming to the conclusion the 530s are better. The DX ones are neither a grippy flat pedal or a light spd. Too slippy if not clipped in or wearing non spd shoes, and no more comfortable or supportive than the 530s when clipped in.
    The 530s replaced some old 520 spds and seem more comfortable on long rides as the foot is better supported (may be more important if >90kg like me)
    I think for £20 odd the 530s are excellent value. Paid £40 for mine and was happy with the value then
    Sounds like monkeyfiend has pd- a520s? I Have these on my road bike. single sided spd pedal.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Yeah, my mistake, pictures looked similar (without glasses on) and assumed title to mean one side platform, one side spud.

Good pedals though.

Also use old shimano dx’s (the red ones.) I like being able to unlock my feet sometimes and still have a good platform to support me.

gordon
    Free Member

PaulD, do you have a link for that offer? I cant find it and it’s a good’un!

FOG

I have some 530s on one bike and 520s on the other. 520s are excellent but the 530s are better. You seem to avoid those desperate scrabbling to clip in at the bottom of a big climb moments and they do seem to give more support.As soon as the 520s wear they will be replaced by 530s

PaulD
    Free Member

January 2012 of WMB Page 60.

Call 0844 848 2852 quoting WMBP1P or order the lot online at:

http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/wmbp1P

PaulD

duir
    Free Member

I have had them for 6 months and bought them because I didn’t think it sensible to spend +£75 on something that gets smashed off rocks. I have used the DX downhill/large cage SPDs for years as I just prefer the feel of them and find them helpful as my usual XC route takes in a Scottish downhill course. Thought I would give the new deore ones a go and have been very impressed with them. They are very cheap but good quality, work exactly the same as ones twice the price and are very durable.

emanuel
    Free Member

got two pairs,well they come in black and white…
    seem to offer more support than the 540s I had before.a bit less sketchy when not clipped in.
    preferred to get two pairs of 530s rather than one of the xt ones.50g diff per pair I think.
    but asides from that,I much prefer the pedal spanner flats rather than the allen key interface.
    I’d reccomend them.

iain1775
    Free Member

I’ve got the Xtr ones 🙂
    They are great really positive engagement

Bregante

I’ve got the binners. Mega cheap at Merlin. Theyre okay but went on a gloopy ride round Macc Forest today and had a couple of clipping in issues I didn’t have with my old shimano DX so the jury’s still out.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

The M530s are great. My first pair of SPDs, never had a problem with them at all. Nice and comfy over decent distances.

Mugboo

I use the DX ones when I use Spds and I always ride them clipped in. I just like the fact that I have more pedal to hit.

If your setting off in a tricky/techy situation its a good thing.

I’ll defo buy those Deore ones next 🙂

ste_t
    Free Member

530’s are all you need unless you have racing to worry about.

gordon
    Free Member

Thanks for the link PaulD, £20.99 for the pedals and 6 months subscription, bargain!

chives
    Free Member

Had these since last June, and have put about 1200 miles on them since, including a few short races, 3 weeks of dry, dusty abuse in Southern France, and half way round the Kielder 100 last September. Personally I think they’ve got enough ‘float’ (I run them at a low tension – and haven’t suffered any unintentional un-clipping).

Giving them a quick spray with ACF50 after cleaning has stopped the slight surface rusting on the spindles (my commute takes me across the sea front, so corrosion can be an issue).

I can’t see any point in spending a load more on the XT version when the Deore model seems so competent, as the weight savings not that great anyway. That magazine sub would be the way forward eh?

perthmtb
    Free Member

Another positive vote for the M530. I find the extra couple of pedal strokes you can get when starting off on techy bits or uphill before you have to clip in make all the difference over the M520 I used previously. I’ve been using them for a few months now and have given them a good bashing on rocks & logs and they seem tough as anything. Don’t see any reason to pay extra for the XT version…

They’re not a replacement for platform or cage pedals though – they’re too skittish to ride more than a few pedal strokes unclipped…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Shimano PD-M530 platform Spuds – anyone using 'em?’ is closed to new replies.