Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shimano PD-A520 Touring pedals – presumably work with regular MTB shoes?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Need some new pedals for a road bike. I only have MTB shoes with Shimano cleats, so normally get normal Shimano double sided MTB pedals on the road bike.

Just wondering about a set of these for a change – single sided, weigh and cost less than XT pedals. Is the platform any better or worse for supporting the shoes, and comfort on long days?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d get double siders; then you get the easy clip in benefits. THose touring pedals seem like the worst of both worlds.

docrobster
    Free Member

I have a520s on my road bike.
    Yes they use normal spd cleats.
    Easy enough to clip into as generally you are sitting down so have more time on road

tomaso
    Free Member

I’very got them on a commuter racer and are good for regular shoes and mtb style cleats. Typical Shimano efficiency simplicity and economy.

antigee

I like A520’s – the pedal naturally falls to present the cleat side uppermost and as long as it isn’t wet they are great to nip to the shops or gym in trainers, slippy slippy in the rain
    rode a 200km+ event yesterday and they were least of my worries and I could stand up in my mtb shoes when the proper roadies all fell over on the wet car deck of the ferry 🙂

1-shed
    Free Member

Work well wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them. Prefer them to double sided for road biking.

avdave2

I’ve got the A600’s on my road bike, certainly don’t need double sided on a road bike and why add the extra weight.

belm
    Free Member

If you do decide to go double sided, I have a set of nearly new Shimano PD-M540’s going spare.

I work in Risley so could drop them round on the way to or from work to save us both the postage costs. 😀

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks for the offer, I’m OK for double sided, fancy trying something different for a change.

greentricky
    Free Member

I use them and they are pretty good, dont feel like a compromise but they are slippy when wet on the flat side

teasel
    Free Member

I have both the A520s and the A600s and although the A600 is a better quality (and more expensive) product I can’t tell the difference in use. Had mixed results with the weighted “back down” with both and sometimes find they’re simply upside down.

If you can afford it I reckon the A600s are likely to last longer if for no other reason than the axle doesn’t rust as quick. I think they’re slightly wider, too, but I’d have to check to confirm. Could be I hallucinated that…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shimano PD-A520 Touring pedals – presumably work with regular MTB shoes?’ is closed to new replies.