Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano Octalink M442 Chain Set – Availability??
  • 2tyred2care
    Free Member

Hi, Does anyone know if these chain sets are available anywhere in the UK. I’m trying to find a new one and it seems easier said than done.

There seems to be a few about that take tapered BB’s but none that take Octalink.

If not, are there any chain rings that i can buy that will fit an M442? mainly THE 22t and 32T rings.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated 😉

Cheers!

PJay
    Free Member

There are a couple of used one’s on Ebay but the current Alivio 9 speed chainset (not sure of the model number) looks similar. I bought one of these for a build for my partner and it seems decent.

2tyred2care
    Free Member

I’ve seen the ones on ebay but really need a new chain set, mine’s a bit worse for wear!

I asked someone about the Alivio ones on ebay and they seem to think that they take a longer BB. i’m not sure if i could strip one of the Alivio chain sets and use the chain rings.

coatesy
    Free Member

They seem to have been replaced by M410 and M430, all in stock at Madison so available to order through just about any bike shop.Madison seem to recommend 118mm BB for both of these.

2tyred2care
    Free Member

I might pull the BB out at the weekend and check the size, if it’s 118mm and looks like a M410 or M430 will fit i’ll take a wander to my LBS and see what they say. Would rather buy on-line though as you usually get a better deal.

andyl
    Free Member

I was looking at the Alivio and Deore Octalink for my SS after I knackered the drive side crank thread. Was a few on ebay that are brand new or nearly new but I ended up picking up a set of Deore HTII cranks at a bike jumble and used my spare XT BB with them.

Shame as my octalink cranks were actually pretty light. Octalink BBs are not though.

As for chain rings any should fit off the current ones. Middle and inner are not that expensive off Rose or CRC or check out on the classifieds. The lower spec steel ones will last a lot longer.

Can pick up a complete HTII deore setup for about £45 from the german stores and then sell the cranks and BB and keep the rings if you want – should work out cheaper.

Failing that just put a wanted up for some rings.

andyl
    Free Member

Just googled the crank set for pics and it is the same as we have here on a Rockhopper.

The rings off any of the higher end chainsets should fit but for some reason the M442 inner has the black ring in the middle:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38194

The only thing you have to watch out for is fitting the low spec steel rings to HTII external BB chainsets as the inner ring on the octalink set ups need filing to stop them fouling the BB shell:

HTII granny:

Octalink granny:

i think the black ring may be a plastic seal of some sort. Maybe the M442 BB is a lower spec with less sealing or something.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Octalink M442 Chain Set – Availability??’ is closed to new replies.