Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano – More for less…….
  • timbur
    Free Member

Why or why are medium cage shadow + mechs more expensive than long cage ones?

Merlins prices got me excited for a second or two :O(

I guess more people are going 1×10 and therefore the long cage aren’t in demand?

Tim

hatter

Merin’s prices are far more dependent on whatever dodgy grey-import deal they are being offered that day than they are on the value of the actual product.

Guess somebody called them to say they had a shed load of long-cage mechs sat in a warehouse that needed a home.

Superficial
    Free Member

Supply and Demand.

See also: Why are the only bargains on CRC either XL or XS?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you mean the sale price not the RRP. Just one of those things in online marketing. Get you in with the lower price on the version you don’t want. Back to when CRC had 1″ CK Headsets in pink on super special mixed in with the 1 1/8th stock.

Paceman
    Free Member

1×10 will work fine with a long cage rear mech as long as you measure the chain length properly. The only drawback being the cage is more exposed and it may not be as quiet in use.

doof_doof
    Free Member

The only drawback being the cage is more exposed and it may not be as quiet in use.

…and a long cage mech looks like a donkey **** hanging off your bike 😀

D0NK

As far back as I can remember long cages have always been cheaper/get discounted more unless a shop ended up with a load of end of line med cage – picked up a few in just such a sale a cpl years back so not had to buy mechs for a while.

Are cages still swappable or are they model/year dependant now? Used to be able to buy a long cage mech and stick the cage from your last mech on (assuming you hadn’t jammed it into your spokes)

Got some med cage mechs due for replacement

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano – More for less…….’ is closed to new replies.