Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • shimano middle ring orientation
  • M6TTF
    Free Member

got a new ring as mine is well and truly hooked now. pulled it apart without taking note of how it sat – so which way around does the new one need to go regards all the shaped shift ramps? does it even matter?

perthmtb
    Free Member

does it even matter?

Yes!

Ramps on middle ring face the granny ring, or another way of checking is to make sure the writing/numbers stamped on the big ring face outwards, and on the middle and granny inwards, or towards the bottom bracket.

You know there is also an little tab that should be lined up with the crank?

rocketman
    Free Member

does it even matter?

If you fit it the wrong way round you will find the chain comes off breathtakingly easy as soon as you put a bit of pressure on the pedals 😳

If in doubt the ugly-looking side of the ring faces inwards

M6TTF
    Free Member

I realise that the ramps are on the inside haha – i meant the rotation of the ring, as the ramps are asymmetrical.

M6TTF
    Free Member

so which bit hole needs to align with the pin on the outer ring, if it matters

perthmtb
    Free Member

As I said, you align the small tab on the inside edge of the ring (at approx. five o’clock in your picture) with the crank.

rocketman
    Free Member

As above the barely visible bit that looks like a mistake lines up with the crank arm

M6TTF
    Free Member

ahh i see what you mean, gotcha. cheers chaps

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘shimano middle ring orientation’ is closed to new replies.