Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shimano M530 and M785 pedals
  • bol

Who’s using these new fangled platformy SPDs, and are the m585 XT ones worth twice as much as the M530 Deore ones?

tomaso
    Free Member

The Deore ones work fine and are better for me than the old style smaller ones for me for Lakeland trail riding. They have taken lots of smacks from pedal strikes on rocks and are fine. Had them since the summer and no problems.

As for how much better the XT ones are I can’t say. I think they have better axles seals and bearings but not sure.

duir
    Free Member

I always prefer platform SPDs as they give my bike a mini DH feel and up till these came out used the Shimano DX. Tried the Deore M530s for a few months and I can say they are excellent. They are tough, durable, work as well as any shimano pedals and I personally wouldn’t pay double for something that will get smashed anyway.

dantsw13

Ive been using the XTR trail pedals – got a good deal from Merlin, no way i’d pay full whack!! The platform is great – real stability, and the ability to pedal clipped out if you really neet to. They also offer much more protection from rock/tree bashes.

I think the 530 and XT version are the same, just with heavier axles.

rondo101
    Free Member

I’ll echo what dantsw13 has said, albeit with experience of only the XT pedals. And with flat-soled spd shoes the ability to still get grip whilst riding technical stuff when you can’t get clipped in is a boon.

cheers_drive

Having changed from 540s to the XT trail pedal the big difference to be was how easy it is to clip in. I think the platform helps as your forefoot touches the front of the pedal first rotating it into the cleat.
    From what I’ve seen XT and XTR are almost identical apart from a few grams. 530s are a bargain but the platforms looks slightly different and the axle is chunkier (same as 520s).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shimano M530 and M785 pedals’ is closed to new replies.