Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Shimano have changed the diameter of the xt bb?
  • jekkyl

had a creaky BB last night so just went to change it, la dee da I thought, 2 minute job while dinner’s cooking. Come to tighten it and the diameter of the outer part with the grooves in is smaller than previously, rendering my tool completely **** useless and leaving me unable to go riding before work tomorrow. **** sake.

legend
    Free Member

It should’ve come with a wee adapter tool

teethgrinder

In short, yes.

External cups on M9000, M8000 and M7000 BB’s is smaller and you should get a plastic tool when you get the BB which helps you use the normal tool.

jam-bo

Yep. But as above, adaptor tool supplied in the box.

jekkyl

nah no adapter here 🙁 I bought it from CRC as well. It didn’t come in a box but just wrapped in bubble wrap. Also, there wasn’t the instructions about how many rings for what width shell, telling you to grease here and there, which I thought was odd.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Not that odd for crc, oem price = oem kit more often than not

nickfrog
    Free Member

Buy the tool adaptor cheap at On-one (£2) – 2 spacers on drive side and 1 on non-drive for 68mm BSA, that should return a 50mm chain line

DezB
    Free Member

Didn’t realise the MTB ones were like that too! Trouble with Shimano BBs they last so long 🙂 Crap of CRC not to supply the tool (or list OEM stuff as OEM)!

jekkyl

couldn’t see it at on one, got it on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201366283295
    lol @myself getting all angry. totally forgot I’ve got 2 mtbs now!

andy4d

I had the same issue as you Jekkyl and bought the same adapter as my CRC bb did not come with said adaptor. When it arrived it did not fit into my icetoolz disc thingy…ffs. Had to borrow a wrench of a mate and the adaptor fitted into that no bother.

mattyfez

More new standards, at this rate we’ll all be commissioning custom CNC parts from engineering companies in a few years.

bubs

I have a sinking feeling about the XT bottom bracket that arrived from CRC today which I planned to fit after this beer. When did this change? Serves me right for going posh and paying £6 more than the Deore one I normally use 👿

jekkyl

Have you got another bike bubs? 😆

sweaman2
    Free Member

I think it changed with 11 speed but not 100% sure. Certainly when I got 11 speed XTR it was different to previous ones.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Not just me then.

bubs

Just checked mine, no box and it is smaller but it did come with the fitting adapter and spacers. I probably should have checked before ordering the eBay adapter…..

scruff
    Free Member

Is anyone making a decent metal tool for the new BBs? Those plastic ones foul on a bearing cap on mine so go on squiffy and I’ve stripped one, now cut the edge off another but it’s still a pita.

I think I’ve got 4 or 5 redundant bb tools starting with square taper, isis, octalink, old shimano…

scotroutes

My previous HT2 tool is still in use – with a Shimano-supplied adapter.

stevied
    Free Member

at this rate we’ll all be commissioning custom CNC parts from engineering companies in a few years

Could help keep me in a job 😉

rossburton
    Free Member

If we’re moaning at CRC then I’ll join in: ordered a 160/180mm post mount adaptor and CRC don’t bother including the double-length bolts you need. Thanks, CRC. LBS actually pitied me enough when I went in to buy some bolts and drop a wheel off for a rebuild that they threw in the retail adaptor/bolts for free…

antigee

DezB – Member
    Didn’t realise the MTB ones were like that too! Trouble with Shimano BBs they last so long Crap of CRC not to supply the tool (or list OEM stuff as OEM)!

no problem buying OEM kit if price is right and it is clear what you are going to get or not get – no olives with brakes is something I’ve been caught out on

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have an adapter. you’re local right? I’m in bursledon. email in profile.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Shimano make a nice metal tool to fit both the new cup diameters.
    And I’d guess park do or will do soon

jekkyl

I’m just looking for a new proper metal tool, don;t like the idea of relying upon a bit of plastic. Included here for future ref.
    The new XT BB is MT800, 41mm dia with 16 notches. The old one was 44mm.
    Park tools: already do: £23.99 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-bottom-bracket-tool-bbt59/rp-prod149795

This is the shimano one I think: 21.49 – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-hollowtech-ii-bb60-tool-tl-fc37/rp-prod137441

chestrockwell

Same happened to me and had the same replies on here when I asked the question. I couldn’t care less if it cost more, less or the same as rrp but they should state that the correct tool is not supplied.

I managed to get one side in but the drive side refused and I managed to make a right mess of the cup. In to the spares bin it went to be replaced by an old SLX drive side in the correct size.

That has just gone pop so bought Hope.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I’m sure they don’t tell you what tool you need for any BBs?

jekkyl

It’s really annoying and I can see no reason for it. Why was it done? so that they can sell more of their tools at 20 quid?! complete disregard for their customers shown by Shimano here. It means that all the people who use their bike infrequently who might have a nice little cycle tool kit, will have a completly inaffectual bottom bracket tool.

lustyd
    Free Member

Lol our community makes me smile. We buy new stuff because it’s smaller and lighter then become outraged when the old massive tool doesn’t fit the smaller component 😆

scotroutes

[/quote]
    Well, it will in the fitting instructions – supplied or online at the Shimano Techdocs site.

Like I said already – the adapter is supplied with the BB when you buy the retail package, so no need to be buying any additional tools.

jekkyl

well there wasn’t one in mine Col! lol and no-one told me I should need one. Plus…. a stupid bit of plastic is going to slip or break or twist off easier = rubbish.

scotroutes

I do think that CRC should make clear when they’re not selling the full retail package! FWIW, the adapter seems to work just fine. It can’t really twist or owt as it fits between the older tool and the BB. At least it’s not at XTR 9XX levels of additional complexity 🙂

jam-bo

I do think that CRC should make clear when they’re not selling the full retail package!

I think the pricing tends to make it pretty clear.

chestrockwell

That may be because virtually all other major players, including Shimano has used the same generic tool since as long as hollowtech.

I do think that CRC should make clear when they’re not selling the full retail package!

Agreed, as should others such as Merlin. I had beef with them years back when I bought some forks that turned out to be seconds. No warning given.

chestrockwell

“I think the pricing tends to make it pretty clear.”

Why’s that then? Plenty of others get close or price match with full retail gear.

jam-bo

When I buy heavily discounted shimano kit from anywhere, not just CRC, I expect it to turn up in a plastic bag.

Sometimes it turns up in a box which is a bonus.

chestrockwell

Plastic bag is not a problem, oem is not a problem, quoting the rrp then your discount from rrp whilst not mentioning that you will need another part that you would get at non oem rrp is not cool.

To make the quoted saving over rrp they should provide everything that would come in the box, regardless of how they package it or make it clear that you are not getting all the contents of a retail item.

orangeboy
    Free Member

The new smaller Shimano bbs seem to last longer and be better sealed so it’s not all bad.

It’s not just Shimano with new bb tool either just look trough the park catalogue to see just how many there are.

The plastic thing works just fine and I found it refreshing that Shimano supplie it with the retail bbs

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Shimano have changed the diameter of the xt bb?’ is closed to new replies.