Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimano freehub – best oil?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve read on here of many oils being used (including gearbox, which seems way too thin to me)

Is there a consensus? I am going to soak in paraffin first. It’s an 03 xtr, I’d just like to get the last out of it!

cynic-al
    Free Member

ps it’s probably between Finish Line green and some engine oil (for the MX5).

enfht
    Free Member

I just use Shimano freehub grease.

rocketman
    Free Member

Soak mine overnight in semi-synthetic 10W40 it seems to work OK

Onzadog
    Free Member

Used to have a morningstar freehub buddy. Flush with gt85, let it drain, then follow up with tf2 spray grease. I’d say let the paraffin drain, soak in the heaviest thing you have to hand and drain again. My worry was if it was too light or oily, it would leak and spoil the grease in the bearings.

Woodentop
    Free Member

Why not just strip it and do the job right.
    The 2 notches (shimano freehubs) by the bearing race, that unscrews then everything comes apart.
    Grease the bearings, bit of gear oil on the pawls.
    If the freehubs knacked then buy a new one !

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a freehub buddy, I think a soak is better.

When I’ve seen freehubs/wheels dissembled, they’ve never been right after.

RustyNissanPrairie
    cynic-al
    Free Member

That’ll get grease (if anything) into the pawls which I don’t think is a good idea.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Check with TJ

Woodentop
    Free Member

That grease nipple won’t help or hinder the freehub body, any excess grease will just get pushed out past the cones / seals.
    Very unlikey to get to the pawls.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Woodentop – Member
    That grease nipple won’t help or hinder the freehub body, any excess grease will just get pushed out past the cones / seals.
    Very unlikey to get to the pawls.

From your experience?

RustyNissanPrairie

works fine, hub is 5ish (?) years old, never slipped once. I use fairly thin grease.

Same mod on my no named elcheapo loose ball unsealed commuter wheels, again no probs and I can hear the difference in freehub clicks when I change from oil to grease and vice versa for summer/winter.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shimano freehub – best oil?’ is closed to new replies.