Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mid life make over – raw steel content
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Midlife upgrade. New forks (finally set to 150mm after a load of faff), ‘upgrade’ to 10spd with Zee mech & Saint shifter, few other small bits and bobs.

Stripped paint, Scotchbrited and covered in Carnuba wax.
    Here’s to another few years of smashing it round Lee Quarry!

Grease nipple modded XT rear hub still hasnt needed stripping since modding-must be 3 or 4 years now, silky smooth.

host image online

imagur

image url

free uploader

PJ266
    Free Member

Like it, I’m about to do the same for a road frame.

Mind if I ask how you stripped it? Is waxing it the best option you reckon? Rather than a clear coat.

nach
    Free Member

Very nice; maybe see you there.

I wanted one of these and, after a month or two looking on fleabay, settled on a Blue Pig instead.

Duffer
    Free Member

Have all the welds tainted yellow? I love it when raw frames do that!

Interested to learn more about that grease nipple mod, too…

danielgroves
    Free Member

Also interested in how you stripped it. The paintwork on my Inbred is looking pretty tatty after just 9 months of ragging.

asbrooks

I like the grease nipple mod, reminds me of the old Sturmey Archer hubs back in the 70s…What’s surprising you don’t see it more often.
    Oh yeah, the bike looks stunning!!

RustyNissanPrairie

Stripping it was an absolute nightmare – I’ve done dozens of frames over the years (usually aluminium but 2 other 4130 frames) this was the hardest. Tried proper/old school Nitromors which softened it slightly, heat gun which again softened it slightly, neat methylene chloride (active ingredient in paint stripper) again softened, shot blasting cabinet with glass bead – which was the best method but not by much, 2nd best was the old school nitromors and a selection of brass brushes.
    Forget new ‘eco’ friendly nitromors-it did nothing at all.

Might clear powder coat it at some point if the wax dosnt work but read a few things about getting rust streaks/lines/fingers from small chips which then let water in/under.

RustyNissanPrairie

Very nice; maybe see you there.

I wanted one of these and, after a month or two looking on fleabay, settled on a Blue Pig instead.

Had a Mk1 Bluepig – loved it but always wanted a Sov but wasnt willing to pay £600 for one. When CRC sold them off at £220 I jumped at it.

It took awhile to get the Evil love going after the Bluepig being so good but now prefer it (just).

Also interested in how you stripped it. The paintwork on my Inbred is looking pretty tatty after just 9 months of ragging.

I reckon an On-One would strip very easily, their paint is piss thin. The Evil had 3 layers-clear top coat, paint, and a black primer.

Wasn’t any colouring around the welds which I was a little disappointed about.

Northwind

danielgroves – Member

If you use an abrasive tone of voice on it, all the paint’ll drop off

RustyNissanPrairie

Interested to learn more about that grease nipple mod, too…

Can be done with the wheel built up.
    Automatic centre pot, then long series drill in a battery drill. Make sure the drill bit is covered in cutting compound to retain the swarf/chips, drill M5 tapping hole (4.2mm), use ratcheting type tap wrench with tap again covered in cutting compound to retain swarf. Keep cleaning drill/tap and reapplying compound. Not striped or replaced freehub since modding.

Screw grease nipple in, pump hub with thinish grease till it oozes out of each bearing seal. Spin wheel so excess grease is pushed out, clean off, go ride!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mid life make over – raw steel content’ is closed to new replies.