Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Shimano DX shoes – should I give them another try?
  • hora
    Free Member

They feel very padded/weird and I couldn’t get used to them for the spin around the block.

I’ve always worn close-fitting shoes but looking at races etc alot of riders seem to wear the DX’s.

Should I try them again? Is it just getting used to them as historically I’ve always worn spesh BG close/thin shoes.

scaredypants

No !

binners

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

hora
    Free Member

I do feel like Lee Nelson wearing them though

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’ve always worn close-fitting shoes but looking at races etc alot of riders seem to wear the DX’s.

What races would that be?

hora
    Free Member

People who can ride better than me

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Yes but what races?

And do you think the shoes will make you a better rider?

hora
    Free Member

Enduro, DH etc.

And do you think the shoes will make you a better rider?

No – thats not me. I don’t want to touch Spesh shoes again after recent bad customer service/experience over the latest pair seperating from the sole. So I was looking around for decent shoes – that unclip/clip in quickly and will work with my DX spd pedals well. The DX’s came highly recommended.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

They look shit though and you have already tried them and didn’t like them plus you are even asking the forum because you are so unsure.

BUY SOMETHING ELSE.

hora
    Free Member

Well I’ve bought some spesh spds shoes off of STW classifieds however I still have the DX’s that aint going anywhere quick so..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you’re a 45 e-mail me as I’ve some of the original grey ones that I use/used, but replaced them last Autumn with some propper northwave winter boots. That and I use flat pedals for grnarrr-core-lite and the DX’s do look daft with a light XC bike!

Edit: ahh you already have some, just ride them then and see!

You what? That’s down to your ankle, the cleat and the pedal not the shoe.

The DX’s have much lower profile soles than racey shoes, I used to find with racey shoes I must have been trying to clip in with the thread rather than the cleat? Fine now with prcatice, but the DX’s are definately easier.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Well I’ve bought some spesh spds shoes off of STW classifieds however I still have the DX’s that aint going anywhere quick so..

Sell them then!

traildog
    Free Member

If you want to look like a particular pro, then use what they’re using – otherwise use what works for you. Worth remembering that the industry is very good at pushing certain products by getting pros to wear them.

There is a bit more flex in the DX shoe and they are more padded. Heavier though, so if you like a lightweight and rigid race shoe then they won’t be for you.

I find I get less feel of the bike when wearing very rigid soled shoes, but putting the power down is probably better (maybe). Certainly feel the difference in weight though.

If you have bought them, then yes, try them longer and see if you get used to them, what have you got to lose? Shoes tend to last a year anyway, and having a spare set never hurts.

I would recommend BG shoes though if you want clips.. 😉

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

I personally love them; I frequently found myself catching my ankle on my Saint cranks when descending and it would really cause some nasty cuts over time.

Changing to DX’s stopped it all because they had a really useful built up ankle protector on the inside.

However, I don’t have the same problem with the cranks I use now (XTR), but I very much like the stiffness of the shoes, added with the protection that the heavier build gives me.

Additionally, I found that the grip on them is more reliable than the XC race shoes I used.

They do look a bit daft I grant you, but that said, it’s all about getting the clothes to match – I tend to wear black kit with white gloves and helmet, and so therefore doesn’t look quite so bad.

Additionally, being a bit of a gravity assistance preferring rider, they’re not out of place…

They’re good shoes, don’t be put off by those who just think they look sh1te and are following the herd by slagging them off. Find them at about £50 delivered and you’ve a bargain.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Agree with ‘Neil Bolton’…

Taff
    Free Member

I like them. Got a pair in the loft just incase I one day decide to ride and bike that isn’t suited towards disco slippers

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Shimano DX shoes – should I give them another try?’ is closed to new replies.