Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Shimano dual control levers
  • geoffj

I’ve got a set which I’m thinking about swapping for a regular shifter / lever combo because of previous bad reports.

Are they really that bad? What are the issues with them? I can get a pair of LX levers for £20, but it seems silly, if they are actually OK.

spchantler
    Free Member

Are they really that bad? What are the issues with them?

i don’t know, are they really that bad? you have them, if you use them, surely you know what the issues are, if any. if not, keep on using them and ignore what the crowd says… 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

it’s subjective…try them.

geoffj

it’s subjective…try them.

That’s what I thought – happy to give them a go on that basis. I just didn’t want to faff around bleeding and fitting if there was a fundamental design fault with them.

njee20
    Free Member

There’s not, the idea just didn’t receive the universal acclaim it did with road STIs.

I liked them.

bland

yes they are terrible, hence why no one uses them!

In theory a good idea, well maybe thats a bit strong, but in practice, er, NO!

Put them on a commuter

sam_underhill

I liked mine. Only downside I can think of is that the ergonomics don’t work in a 1 finger braking setup as it’s then a bit tricky to get enough purchase on the lever.
    My old XTR ones on my rat bike now still working very well.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I loved mine and still use/prefer Rapid Rise mechs, but suppose I bowed to fashion on the levers as they’ve long gone.
    +ve – really easy to brake and change gear in one motion. gear changing in general was nicer/easier IMO.
    -ve – what sam says^ also some people don’t like brake levers that feel a bit loose. Look a bit rubbish IMO. The first gen design looked scruffy very quickly.

d45yth
    Free Member

Only change them if you’re not happy with them, never mind what anyone else thinks! I’ve a set of the last XTR ones and love them on my bikepacking bike. The only time I don’t like them on rough descents, as you can accidentally change gear while braking. I would never put them on my trail bike due to that.

Sandwich

I use a set on my F800, they’re not bad but can require a firm hand for upshifts with the lever.

ac282

I thought they were fine and I still use some old ones on my hack bike.
    On the other hand, I’m happy with either RF+ or gripshift as well so maybe I’m not fussy.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want them on a big hitter, but I have them on the XC HT and love em, I have old old Lxs, but the brakes are bitey bitey and I’ve never had a problem with shifting. Though a freind of mine has them and he’s had a few offs and borked them, so now he is looking at making the change.

stuey
    Free Member

Loved them on a race bike with RR – I don’t think RR gets made any more 🙁

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I like them.

There is nothing wrong with the design, it is a matter of personal preference

2nd generation a lot nicer and more adjustable

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Liked mine on my commuter as I could flick the lever to change gear from the bar ends without really changing hand position.

Make sure those LX ones are hydro disk specific as I’ve seen some cheap LX ones on eBay and they’re for cable pull vee brakes.

Luminous
    Free Member

Shimano DCLs. Lov’em, got them on all my bikes, except the TCR. My oldest pair are over 7 years old and are going great. No design flaw I’m aware of, fitting, bleeding, etc, is fine, no issues here. I also like the fact that on my bikes, using DCLs de-clutters the handle bars, no seperate shifter pods nudging up next to the brake levers. Just my preferrence, but I like them.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Shimano dual control levers’ is closed to new replies.