Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shimano Disc Brake Modulation (or lack of). Options?
  • spiderbike
    Free Member

I recently bought some Shimano SLX M666 brakes for my hardtail on the back of the bikeradar review.

Compared to Avids, Hopes and Hayes I’ve owned/used before power is much better, but modulation is poor with a very on/off feel.

The local trails I ride are very steep and techy and I find a more progressive brake feel preferable.

Has anyone managed to improve the modulation via a pad change to something compatible but non-Shimano?

smiff
    Free Member

exactly what i’m considering right now, as SLX are cheaper than Avid 7. only thing i can think is to use smaller rotors. think i’m going with Avid again for this reason. shame they don’t work quite so well with Shimano shifters..

i’m guessing Saint brakes have even less modulation than SLX ?

Stoner
    Free Member

I get much more modulation with my XTR M965 than my SLX M666.

The SLX are more wooden. Not tried any fancy pads to correct it though as theyre on a rarely used bike.

spiderbike
    Free Member

I’m running mine with 180mm rotors… in retrospect 160mm would have been completely adequate given there is no shortage of power.

I was also wondering about swapping the rear for a smaller rotor, but guess I might still be left with the same on/off feel.

Northwind

Have you fitted stupidly big rotors? I rode a set of M666s with a 203mm rotor on the front and yes they were grabby and wooden, but only because they were so excessively powerful. 180/160 still gave it more power than it needed and gave it back the subtlety.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hope?

Love the modulation on the M4 Techs

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps you should stick with them whilst you get used to them and adjust your braking technique accordingly?

smiff
    Free Member

try 160F/140R, and softer pads, if still no joy get Avids, it’ll cost you a bit probably. rotor and pads will change the feel. maybe rotors with less material in them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Disc Brake Modulation (or lack of). Options?’ is closed to new replies.