Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shimano brake question
  • garage-dweller

When changing pads on my Deore brakes (the bleed with a silly funnel type) they seem to be dragging / pads not retracting fully. I have pushed the pistons back fully before fitting (bleed screw removed) but they still seem to be standing 1mm or so proud of the piston body. I can get the pads in just but lever had almost zero travel (3-4mm at end of lever jams brake on hard)

First thought is I have managed to fractionally over full the brake with fluid. Our maybe they need a bleed.

Bite/reach adjusters are set fully out where they should be and no previous issueslike this

The answer is not buy hope brakes (new saddle already this month!). 😆

garage-dweller

Piston body means Caliper body. It’s really and I’m on the phone 😳

weeksy

First thought is I have managed to fractionally over full the brake with fluid. Our maybe they need a bleed.

Sounds about right, when you push them back fully, in about 2s time they will come back in a smidgen….. that smidgen is your difference between dragging and not.

Nobby

^^ This.

A tad too much fluid by the sounds of it. Mind you, I hadn’t touched the levels in mine & some new pads did the same – they were aftermarket ones which turned out to be a teeny bit thicker than the standard Shimano jobbies, so the effect was the same.

njee20
    Free Member

Why are you removing the bleed screw? Shouldn’t be necessary, you shouldn’t be able to overfill the brakes either, unless you bled them with worn pads…?

garage-dweller

Umm may have last bled with old pads in there due to misplacing yellow block 😳

I took the bleed screw out when they wouldn’t push back easily. I will drain a few drops out tonight. These pads are especially thick (genuine shimano though) when compared to the last lot of superstar ones.

garage-dweller

Thanks all

Karl33to
    Free Member

If you’re letting fluid out do it via the levers so that you don’t introduce any bubbles. Just open the bleed port and squeeze the pistons into the calliper and you’ll be sound.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shimano brake question’ is closed to new replies.