Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shimano Brake Pad Differences?
  • mbqwerty
    Free Member

Cannock chase has once again eaten a set of pads over winter… so new set needed. It’s the first change since getting the bike in July so it’s fair enough really…

Love the brakes, can’t really fault them so was just going to get like-for-like replacements from chain reaction most likely. My question is… does anyone know the difference between the XT/XTR finned pads and the saint/zee pads. As far as I can discern there’s no real difference, but I’m sure there’s something to warrant the extra £5 per set?

For info.. the ones that were in the brakes (XTR) were the H01A Saint/Zee pads. The two different pads are on the links below. Any help appreciated cheers

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xtr-xt-slx-alfine-f-type-disc-brake-pads/rp-prod61810?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom&gs=1&gclid=CLq9k_qWksMCFcoBwwodHjgAtw&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-saint-zee-h-type-disc-brake-pads/rp-prod124951?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom&gs=1&gclid=CMuy7_uWksMCFbPItAodaEcACw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mister-P
    Free Member

Saint / Zee pads are longer than XT / XTR as the downhill callipers are bigger and have 4 pistons where as XT / XTR brakes are 2 piston. They are not interchangable.

cp

H01a is just the compound, which is the resin compound. As mister p (and he should know!) states, saint/vee are not cross compatible with xt/xtr (or more correctly now deore/slx/xt/xtr).

If you want to save a bit of cash, superstar components and uber bike components both do much cheaper compatible pads.

My Shimanos came without fins… if cannock is your typical ride you don’t need fins….

shredder
    Free Member

If you want finned pads without Shimano expense have a look at Uberbike’s new finned pads with replaceable inserts .
    Uberbike

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Cheers guys, Cannock is the local trail but it’s not the normal place. Hopeton, Degla, Peak Distric, Wales etc…

Will check out the uberbike pads cheers. There’s only been a few instances where I think I’ve ever actually used the extra cooling… but on those times, I was pretty damn glad to have them!

I thought that the pads wouldn’t be interchangeable, but the pads in the brakes at the minute are definitely the H01A, unless they’ve been labelled incorrectly or are an older set or something? (very odd…)

cp

H01a is the resin compound and applies whether xt/xtr or zee etc…

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Just bought the uberbike ones… seem like a decent option given they’re a bit cheaper than the shimano resin ones, and have replaceable inserts rather than having to buy new finned pads every time. If they’re not that good, they’ve still worked out cheaper than shimano so I’ll just shell out next time and stock being a stingy northerner

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

For 99% of UK riding, you will not get any noticable benefit from the cooling fins.
    Pad compound is the only variable worth worrying about.
    Sintered is ideal for most XC & trail stuff. It survives Winter grinding-paste slop for longer but tends to squeal a bit sometimes.
    Resin is better for absolute stopping power and disipates heat better but wares less well.
    I’ve only ever swapped from sintered to resin pads for the odd day at Fort William or Antur Stiniog on the big bike (Patriot).

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Yeah only really worried about cooking brakes a couple of times, and I’ll take any help I can in those scenarios! Going to try this ‘race compound’ from uberbike see how it fares. Seems to have decent reviews for a number of places. I do have a bit of a pet hate with squealing brakes so would still probably go resin and just have to buy new pads a little bit more often.

Plus… with squeaky brakes everyone you’re riding with can tell when you’re being a pussy on the brakes!

Tracey

We have used the Uberbike race matrix pads for a couple of years and they have been first class and wear well. Mainly in the Peak and on our Alps trips. Abigale used them on her Enduro for her five weeks in the Alps this last summer and they were as good as the original Shimano ones. Will be looking at their finned options when we need some more.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Brake Pad Differences?’ is closed to new replies.