• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by wl.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shimano AM41 or Giro Jacket flat shoes any good?
  • wl
    Free Member

As title, really. Read a couple of reports about soles not lasting, but also read glowing reports from people who ride plenty. Any info here? Also considering Giro Jackets if anyone knows anything about these. Ta.

superfurryhead
    Free Member

Had my shimanos for over two years and the soles are solid. Upper did come slightly separated from the sole (couple of mm) but superglued and good as new. The Velcro flap keeps most of the cack out but not the water. 9/10

bigjim

AM41s are good, but they do fall apart quicker than the AM40s did, my soles are loose and the black top layer of the faux leather is peeling off. Soles are great but do get chewed up by pins, still grip well for me though. The flap over the laces makes them the only flat pedal shoe option I’m interested in despite their build quality.

wl
    Free Member

Cheers for these. Sounds like they’re probably worth a go for me. Been through 4 or 5 pairs of Five Ten Impact Low, so anything lasting over 12-18 months will be acceptable. I need something I can ride in all year in the UK, and do the occasional hike-a-bike in. Seems there’s nothing out there that really ticks every box (light, durable, weatherproof, grippy, stiff enough sole, affordable, doesn’t look like an item of fetish wear).

bartimaeus
    Free Member

My AM41s have lasted about 4.5k miles… the uppers are fine, but the soles are now wearing out. Some of this is the inevitable pin damage – but the worst wear is on the right sole from some ill-advised use on dig days.

weegi
    Free Member

I got a pair of the Giro Jackets for the summer as I usually wear Five Ten Karvers. They have been a great shoe so far, not had them long so can’t comment on how they last but they are extremely comfy and grip just as well as the Five Tens so far.

unklehomered
    Free Member

My AM41s have lasted well (both pairs), but the crushed ice, slushy snow stuff this spring did shred the plasticky stuff on the outside when I was traipsing through it… That was the old pair which were getting on a bit.

FOG

What’s the sizing like on AM41s? On Shimano spd shoes I have to go up at least one and sometimes two sizes compared to street shoes.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I’m a Ten wide, or 10.5 or elevent to ge the width inUK sizing.

I have 46 for summer w/ thin sicks
    47 for winter with seal skins.

wl
    Free Member

Research done. Giros ordered. Fingers crossed. Cheers everyone.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shimano AM41 or Giro Jacket flat shoes any good?’ is closed to new replies.