Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shimano AM40 sole's buggered
  • dustypumpkins

Putting on my shoes earlier I noticed the tread is damaged. It’s like the rubber sole has been cut, some of the rectangles that make up the tread are gone and some are half gone.

Anyone else had similar issues? I’ve only had them since January and haven’t used them that much, and only on the bike.

I know Madison will say it’s wear and tear but it’s quite excessive.

evel_kneivel
    Free Member

Exactly the same problem with the Vibram soles on my AM41’s. Large chunks of the sole completely missing after maybe a dozen rides. Not impressed considering my old Shimano DX’s lasted me over 4 years…

mr_mills
    Free Member

I’ve been using mine every week since December and there’s nothing like that on them – just little marks made by the pins on the pedals. So I don’t think yours should be missing chunks!

dustypumpkins

Hmm, I guess it is the pedal pins slowly eating away at the sole but I’m really not impressed by this. I think they’re really good shoes but not if they’re only going to last a few months!

BigJohn

Get some seam sealer type glue from a camping or surf shop and blob it in the holes and leave it to set for 24 hrs. It builds the material back up quite well.

Brilliant for mending biggish holes in tubeless tyres that Stand won’t cope with too.

russjp
    Free Member

Mine have completly worn through. A small hole each foot where the pedal pin has rubbed. If I stand in a puddle they fill up with water

rudedog
    Free Member

get them re-soled with the 510 stealth rubber and you’ll have a new breed of super-mtb shoe.

Northwind

Mine are over a year old and the sole’s wearing as you’d expect, but slower than my 5 10s did… Makes me wonder, do you move your feet around a lot on the pedals?

doug_basqueMTB.com

No issues here. Using AM40’s for the last year. Both pairs pretty worn now and not much grip left but I think they’ve worn well. Maybe a warranty thing?

matthew_h
    Free Member

My AM40s did exactly the same, the areas where the pins go wore off really quickly leaving virtually no grip. The shoes themselves are fine which is annoying. Not even worth getting them resoled with 5:10 rubber now that Feet First are charging £45 a pair

Tom83

I’ve had my am40’s for 2 years, and they’ve held up pretty well, only a few little chunks. I’m quite light though, don’t know if that will make much difference. Using Superstar nano pedals with standard pins.

m_t_b
    Free Member

I have had some since end of last year and they are the same excessive wear with chunks missing out of the tread. Great shoes but they do seem to wear quick. As someone said earlier I maybe do move about on the pedals a bit and this can’t help. I will get them resoled with stealth when they get bad.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shimano AM40 sole's buggered’ is closed to new replies.