Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shimano 6500 Front Derailer 28.6mm converted to 31.8mm
  • nuthead53
    Free Member

Hi,
    I was just wondering if it is possible to convert a band on 28.6mm derailer to a 31.8mm?

Or

I guess I could just get the old top half band part that someone might have?

nuthead53
    Free Member

Or
    Just put just on a old Braze on top part.
    Again someone might have this?

Mister-P
    Free Member

See exploded view

It doesn’t look like the band is removable.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve not seen road front mechs that do more than one size.

You are looking at a new mech I think.

foxyrider
    Free Member

No – fraid not 🙁

nuthead53
    Free Member

From what I can tell, there are two hex screws that can be taken out that would remove the band/braze on part.

The rest of the mech looks exactly the same as a Braze On.

Stupidly I bought a 28.6mm clip on as it was very cheap.

I have a old Braze On front mech that has one of the adjuster screws well and truely stuck (on the top braze on part)

I have a 31.8mm frame, so both mechs are kinda useless as they are.

foxyrider
    Free Member

If its band on then one side is part of the moulded body the other is the swinging part of the band – if it is a braze on type then yes 🙂

Edit: I see what you mean from the blow out but getting hold of the band is likely the tricky part?

nuthead53
    Free Member

So it would be the whole of the top adjuster part (with the 2 adjusting screws) That would need to be replaced.
    Either with a 31.8m band (with adjusting part)

Or a Braze on part.

It’s really annoying that I have the braze on part already but it’s the bit that needs replacing.

I have seen that you can get the part and its model is: SM-AD11. (EDIT: This part is wrong, this is actually a braze on band…)

I guess ideally I would cannibalise an old mech for this part, which would ideally be braze on rather than clip on.

nuthead53
    Free Member

it’s the bit that the 2 screws are going into (Ref: 2)
    Or on the right hand side, where the 2 screws are going into (Ref: 5)

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FD/EV-FD-5501_5504-2174_v1_m56577569830608805.pdf

nuthead53
    Free Member

Bump incase someone has a magical solution to this.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 6500 Front Derailer 28.6mm converted to 31.8mm’ is closed to new replies.