Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shimano 105 flightdeck front (lefthand) shifter fault – please help
  • Smarty
    Free Member

Had problems on road bike shifting down to the small ring on front during tonights ride, out with the work stand when I got home and a quick inspection found this small part floating around inside the shifter. It will shift up to big ring but not back down so it’s clearly snapped off part of the mechanism but just wondering if you guys know what part and indeed if it can be fixed/replaced, or do I need a new shifter? It’s not that old and probably done less than 1000miles so annoying really, it’s part of the groupset that I’ve just swapped over to my new Kaffenback so new cables etc and well setup, no problems over the last 2 weeks riding it.

bassspine
    Free Member

that’s what we call in the trade ‘broken’. If it’s in warranty I’d say you have a good chance of a replacement, but it’s very unlikely indeed to be fixable.

Smarty
    Free Member

Hmmm! What is shimano warranty like? I guess it’s probably around 2 year old, originally on a bike that I hardly used. Even now a look at the lever you’d say it was brand new, I can’t prove how much use but can show that it’s still like new ???

Is it worth trying or is it new shifter?

twohats
    Free Member

Is it from a 10 speed groupset?
    If it is, Shimano have had some issues with the 1st generation left hand shifters. They should replace it under warranty.

Smarty
    Free Member

twohats – Member
    If it is, Shimano have had some issues with the 1st generation left hand shifters. They should replace it under warranty.

Yes it is a 10 speed groupset, that’s good to know, thanks.

bassspine
    Free Member

If it’s out of warranty, you can get part lever replacements with just the shifter rather than the whole lever, but it’s still pricy I’m afraid.

ian martin
    Free Member

Had the same thing happen to me. When I googled the problem there was reams of similar stories.
    Mine was over 2 years old, so I didn’t bother claiming.
    I just use the big ring now.

Smarty
    Free Member

ian martin – Member
    I just use the big ring now.

I’ve just set it up in the little ring for tomorrows commute 😳 😳 😳

**note to self – MTFU**

paulosoxo
    Free Member

[/b]

Smarty – Member

twohats – Member

Yes it is a 10 speed groupset, that’s good to know, thanks.

EVANS Point blank refused to change my dads

Mister-P
    Free Member

Best thing you can do is get the retailer you bought the lever from to give Madison a call.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I had one fail outwith the warranty period but it was still replaced free of charge because it was a known fault.

grievoustim
    Free Member

Mine did the exact same thing the other week – just failed out of the blue and little bits like that all over the shop. Mine is a couple of yeArs old though- I didnt even consider chancing my arm at getting a free replacement, I’ve chucked it now.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 105 flightdeck front (lefthand) shifter fault – please help’ is closed to new replies.