Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Shim or sram getting lion's share of OEM speccing these days?
  • Poopscoop

Personal preferences/ brand loyalty aside, which manufacturer is actually “winning the war” sales wise these days?

I ask about the OEM side as I believe that’s where they get most of their revenue from?

lunge

SRAM I reckon. Though that may be because I tend to notice it in new bikes in a “that’d be lovely if it had Shimano on it” kind of way.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sram, winning with the fork and reverb combo, shimano can’t compete on the full package.

Poopscoop

Limited knowledge here but have shim ever dabbled with forks? Or bought in to a manufacturer with the knowledge already there. Like sram and Rockshox?

unovolo
    Free Member

Surprised Shimano didn’t buy Marzocchi, would have been a ideal opportunity to complete the platform to take on Sram at all levels.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sram might be edging it on mid to high end MTBs, but I reckon Shimano more than compensate with lower end bikes and road especially.

honourablegeorge

Was reported on this here site at one point that SRAM were selling eight times as many XX1 groups as expected. A d that was before X1, X01 or GX.

I think they’ve been cleaning up in the trail and enduro markets. Reverb and other bits helping too. But that’s a small slice overall

DanW
    Free Member

Surprised Shimano didn’t buy Marzocchi

Fox do alright

Sram might be edging it on mid to high end MTBs, but I reckon Shimano more than compensate with lower end bikes and road especially.

This. Low end is a maaasive market and Shimano always seem to be dominant. SRAM have a lot of work to do to get their reputation back on the road side too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont know but momentum is definetly on SRAM here

Only thing i used to have that was SHimano was cranks

I now have one MTB SRAM one Shiman and one road bike Shim and CX Sram

Not a lot if difference tbh and nether brand would affect my purchase choice….not tired STAM brakes and Avids were poor but I am also a Hope man whenever they doa product – cranks a bit pricey mind so not tried.

eshershore
    Free Member

Shimano have a much bigger share of the OE market in terms of volume and value

SRAM themselves reckon they have 15% of the component market (this also includes aftermarket)

Recent figures for yearly turnover at SRAM were around $600 million. recent figures for Shimano turnover was $2.8 billion.

mountain bikes where you see more SRAM components are a small market compared to utility, road and hybrid bikes where Shimano is dominant; major manufacturers like Giant and Specialized have stopped fitting SRAM to their road bikes.

Shimano is also expanding into the rapidly growing electric bike market

MoreCashThanDash

Lunge +1, early.

Northwind

It’s just the bikes we pay attention to, not all bikes, so it’s easy to get a wrong impression. Partly because Shimano have a much wider low end range and partly because it’s just better- you need higher end SRAM before it stops sucking essentially. And even then not always.

Comment up the page “Rockshox fork + Reverb is a killer combination”, what proportion of bikes come with a dropper post? If it’s 1% I’d be surprised I think.

njee20
    Free Member

Recent figures for yearly turnover at SRAM were around $600 million. recent figures for Shimano turnover was $2.8 billion.

Was that bikes only, or golf and fishing too? Not that surprised.

nasher
    Free Member

Shimano own a large chunk of Fox via holding companies, and now also marzocchi by association…

So shimano do forks, 15mm was pushed via fox because it was difficult and expensive to tool up for 20mm as they use cup cone in their hubs.. and other things

honourablegeorge

Shimano were already making lots of 20mm hubs when 15mm appeared

penster
    Free Member

I see a lot of Shimano on road, and a tonne of SRAM on MTB

shermer75
    Free Member

Neither, it’s Shrim

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jqL6J0mVIto[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Comment up the page “Rockshox fork + Reverb is a killer combination”, what proportion of bikes come with a dropper post? If it’s 1% I’d be surprised I think.

Was taking the context of mountain biking as I don’t claim to be across the entire global bike industry. From the shops I’ve been in droppers are common above Base spec and xc.

I remember the days when a Base spec oem fox and an XTR mech were used to make a cheap bike look better now the spec is going away from that.

benpinnick

If you’re talking just decent MTB (No £99 Specials) then its pretty much Shimano in the low end, and SRAM at the top. Of course it helps that neither SRAM does that many very low end forks (at least from a cost perspective) and that Shimano doesn’t do much decent stuff other than Drive and brakes at the high end.

If you look a the value of the components on a bike today, at least something high end MTB, then SRAM can often account for 60%+ of the component value of a bike, usually some combination of:

Forks
    Reverb
    Shock
    Drive
    brakes
    Wheels

Whereas shimano will be limited to around 10-15% of the value in the drive and brakes only. Add to that the fact that SRAM is definitely increasing in both popularity and OEM coverage, while Shimano is at best static, in MTB world SRAM is most definitely the bigger player, by some way.

kimbers

OEM wise definitely SRAM , pikes and reverbs also do well aftermarket, because they work well and can be had at very competitive prices.
    As said earlier tho, cheap SRAM stuff does not last long I got 6 months each out of 2 x7 rear mechs, whereas as deore/slx/zee stuff is much tougher

glasgowdan
    Free Member

FT describes Shimano as “the globally dominant manufacturer of bicycle parts”

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Shim or sram getting lion's share of OEM speccing these days?’ is closed to new replies.