Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • shifters for new build – opinions
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

Running Shimano and I need some new shifters

are the latest pods worth it over the older versions?

thinking the 2-way XT M770 versus the older M751 style. I've only used the latter.

Any opinions greatly received.

scaredypants

older ones are ace too – last forever near enough
    (because of that, I think I might splash for 10sp instead, when available)

ianpinder
    Free Member

If you don't need 10speed the 970 xtr, if you do want 10spd then the new 2011 xtr.

Don't mind slx mechs, or xt mechs, but xtr shifters all the way.

foxyrider
    Free Member

2 way are great – much better than the old ones with much more positive shifting IMHO 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

10 spd is also an option, but I'm 9spd across all my mtbs/commuter so compatibility is handy. I prefer 10spd on the roadie but it is more senstive to setup, so I'm tempted not to bother for the mtb.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I could just go RH on the XTR 970…..

cullen-bay
    Free Member

xtr shifters ftw.

mieszko
    Free Member

I have the current XT 2 way shifters and to be honest I preferred how the silver XT ones worked. However the 2 way shifting is a great improvement over standard rapidfire. I remember there was a group test of shifters and the older silver 2 way release XT got higher marks than current black ones and SLX were pretty good as well. Never tried new XTR but they do look great, however at twice the price even second hand I won't be able to afford those. Current XT are good but nothing great TBH. If You can get the silver 2 way release cheaper second hand than I would go for the silver ones.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

cheers all

budget is now looking shaky…. many thanks for that

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘shifters for new build – opinions’ is closed to new replies.