Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shifter/Mech choice advice please
  • Olly
    Free Member

Ive been weighing up upgrading my SRAM attacks for aaages, but theyve never given me reason to! for 30 quid shifters theyve lasted brilliantly (3/4 yrs ish?)
    this weekend the bolt fell out the bottom, they still work, but i think with the gaping hole and the lack of tension holding it in one piece, its only a matter of time before they conk out somewhere important, like going up hill.
    ALSO
    as the rest of the bike is XT level stuff, ive been toying with the idea of a new mech, to replace the LX one with something a little shinyer.
    ALSO, im currently using an 8spd setup.

I chose the attacks because of both controls being on the thumb, but new shimano does that too, so thats not a concern anymore….

do i:

Buy a new 8spd SRAM attack and leave it at that.
    Buy a new 8Spd SRAM attack or XT shifter and a new XT mech.
    Buy a new 8spd SRAM setup (XT level is X7 ish?)
    Buy a new 9spd system, just cause i can (i dont really think i can warrant this)

any opinions on SRAM Vs shimano??

grumm
    Free Member

dunno but xt is same level as x9 I would say.

clubber
    Free Member

Agree that XT is X9 or so.

How worn is the 8 speed drivetrain? If not bad, then just get a replacement 8 speed shifter on the classifieds and stick with that for now.

Otherwise, deore rapid fires (I can't say I've ever noticed any difference in shifting once out on the trail if the cables are in decent condition so save the money here) and whichever rear mech you fancy – they don't really work any differently new but IME XT and XTR do last longer (XTR in particular)

Olly
    Free Member

how hard is it to get 8spd now!
    gah
    might stock up!

clubber
    Free Member

Just hold on a season or so and then upgrade to 10 speed to keep yourself compatible 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Classifieds has had a few 8spd bit 'n bobs on there recently.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shifter/Mech choice advice please’ is closed to new replies.