Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Sherwood pines or Cannock chase?
  • runswithscissors

Travelling from the flat lands for a days riding, which of the two would you recommend?

scruff
    Free Member

The one which you can arrrange a local guide for ???

runswithscissors

Happy to find my own way around, just wondering which is best for a days following my nose….hopefully in the sunshine!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I’d say the Chase, never been to Sherwood Pines though.

Your likely to end up disappointed without a guide on the chase?

scruff
    Free Member

Proabably about the same without a guide, if your looking for off piste. Both have tame signed routes.
    Chase has DH tracks aswell which as easy to find and good fun.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I’d say the Chase, never been to Sherwood Pines though.

The quintessential STW post?

“I’d say A although I have no experience of B”.

Lol

Both have their good points.

If you like DHing then Stile Cop at Cannock is fun for a bit and sáns guide Follow The Dog is ok though nothing breathtaking, you need a guide to find the best of the rest.

Sherwood Pines is also fun but once again, without a guide you will miss a hell of a lot of good singletrack.

runswithscissors

lol @ sooty….hmm thanks guys, thought maybe with me and my gps we would be ok at either for cheeky trails…maybe time for a rethink!

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, both Cannock and Sherwood can be fun even without a guide but you’ll barely scratch the surface of the singletrack available and struggle to find a flowing route.

Which flat lands are you coming from BTW, Lincolnshire or Norfolk/Suffolk?

runswithscissors

the imposing hillocks of Cambridgeshire!

puddle-rider
    Free Member

For my money and I have ridden both, following your nose will serve you better at Sherwood than at Cannock, you really need a guide at Cannock to get the best out of it. Follow the Dog to my mind is in need of too much repair!! If your in Cambridge what about Thetford?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Sherwood PInes is riding well at the moment, been up there this morning for a couple of hours, the main trail is signed now too. Loads of singletrack that’s pretty easy to find.
    Cannock is more hilly, but I find it harder to find the trails, possibly because I don’t know the area as well, or possibly because they’re better hidden! Some cracking trails there other than Follow the Dog if you can find them

runswithscissors

pudlrider, was at thetford sunday, fancy a change and Afan is too far for a daytrip!

adey205
    Free Member

having ridden both, with and without a guide in the case of cannock, i would say sherwood. easier to navigate round. if you hit the road you’ve gone too far. hit the railway, gone too far

runswithscissors

adey205, thanks for the heads up think i’ll plump for sherwood….is the kitchener trail worth a blast?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Pines is brilliant these days if you know where you’re going. Easier to find good stuff than the Chase

adey205
    Free Member

yeah mate, reallly good at the mo. conditions great, loads of grip. any of the lads that did the forum ride on saturday will vouch for that

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Sherwood pines or Cannock chase?’ is closed to new replies.