Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Sherwood Pines – Kitchner Trail
  • JB405
    Free Member

After discovering the plethora of lovely winding singletrack trails in Sherwood Pines 3 years back, hearing that the Forestry Commission had £300K to spend on the trails made me grin broadly.

A means to link up all those awesome bits of trail that are scattered across the Forest would be just fantastic.

So, yesterday after not being there for about 7 months I go for a wee ride. The first 3/4 of the trail are unbelievably bad, every bit of trail they have cut out is trash, off camber corners with ditches and or tree stumps on the exits ready to punish you if you dare to try and carry any speed. The flow, which the old trails just throw at you, is non-existent plus it has only been open for a few months and already it is cut up.

Badly designed and made, it seems like a complete waste of money!

Having said that the guys in the bike shop say that the majority of the money was spent on the Blue(family trail) Route. Obviously the FC has aimed the work at the recreational cyclist not those who actually know how to ride and enjoy pushing a bikes limits.

Bottom line if you go to ride there head straight over to the Bike Park /Downhill section then go and hunt out all the little trails that disappear in to the trees

!!!!DO NOT BOTHER WITH THE FIRST 3/4 OF THE KITCHNER TRAIL!!!!

ilikebikes
    Free Member

I think “unbelievably bad” might be slightly over egging the pudding.

JB405
    Free Member

I don’t think it is!

There are so many examples of good quality trail building now in the UK that this stands out as a very poor effort.

adey205
    Free Member

IMAGINE WHAT IT WAS LIKE FOR US LOCALS!
    i mean,there we were enjoying all the natural deer runs we’d turned into mint singletrack, and along came f.c. and went, NO! they’re not what we want you to ride,
    you will all ride ride the route we say and we’re not sorry for cutting up some of the best trails in the area.
    F.C. got this one horribly wrong

dicky
    Free Member

I like it. It’s not technical but if you take it fast it’s fun.

And there’s still plenty of the old trails through the forest aren’t there if you don’t like the FC trails?

vinnyeh

I’m guessing that this is the trail off the back of the carpark- we left Nottingham in Jan, so that was the last time I rode it- think it was completed and waymarking pretty much done, though it wasn’t opened- I hated it, but for pretty much the opposite reason to the op- I honestly didn’t use the brakes at all for the first few ( ~3 I think) kilometres- waymarked the point on my gps, but it’s gone now. I thought the whole trail was absolutely tedious, and for me it started my current disdain for singletrack (the single line stuff).

abductee
    Free Member

If you don’t like it post some comments on my forum. http://www.sherwoodpines.yolasite.com

If I can get enough people saying the same thing, the FC might pay attention.

The blue trail excuse is a load of tosh. I don’t think they spent anything on the blue / green trails because 90% uses the existing fire roads. I think most of the 300k was spent on lighting and parking meters in the car park.

The underlying problem is a lack of user involvement.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice piece of single track and worth a visit if you live in the area but it could have been much better.

JB405
    Free Member

I just feel it was a missed opportunity!

The forest had/has such an awesome selection of trails that they really didn’t have to do what they did!

Just link up and make the links enjoyable to ride. Look at The dragons Back, Penmachno, Llandegla and Lagan (especially the Black Run). They all take the natural terrain link it up with man made and make something of it!

Anyway who in their right mind entrusted the FC with £300K. This is an organisation that loses hundreds (that’s HUNDREDS) of millions every year. They have no idea on financial management, but then I suppose being a government body it doesn’t matter as the Tax Payer foots it. Akin in mentality to the MPs and their expenses!

Gravy
    Free Member

Makes my blood boil !! I guess Clixby’s were laughing all the way to the bank (and thier next job). The Guy who’s in charge is Mr Chris Bray (manager) and his oppo Becky Mayo. Please direct all your complaint’s to these two (pi55 up and brewery spring to mind) and please tell them what you thought and how you think they could improve the whole sorry mess these two “pratts” have created, must say that I’m quite suprised at what has been done there as Mr Bray has spent quite some time at the Welsh forest parcs when he weighed a lot less. He obviously didn’t notice what he was riding along. Cannock’s not too far away if you want it real ! 🙄

haddock
    Free Member

I can see both points here, I got to admit I do quite like it for what it is. Ok its not a proper red trail but when ridden fast its still fun – should have a few features in it though.

Its a great place to introduce someone to riding. Took my partners niece there the other day. She rode the lot, fell off once, but is now a convert and wants to get her own bike. My partner also likes it, she got her confidence back after a succession of nasty falls on much harder trails. People do have to learn to walk before they can run, went to Stainburn the other day and you couldn’t exactly take a newbie there!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

abductee – Member

The underlying problem is a lack of user involvement.

I would suggest this might be part of your problem, no one prepared to organise themselves into a group that FC would be prepared to work with. You can get things done, but most MTBers aren’t prepared to pick up a shovel, but are quite happy to moan and winge at other peoples work.
    Take Stainburn as an example of volunteer building to how those volunteers who actually turn up want to build it, nearly all of it is hand built and maintained by local volunteers. And with a reasonably good relationship with FC. It’s similar at Dalby Forest, FC actually spend money there, building trails, but the volunteer group go in and help tweek them and join the dots.

Kramer
    Free Member

The downhill trails in the bike park are quite fun, although more like a short section of red or black XC trail than a true bike park. Quite useful for practising skills. Agree that the rest is very tedious though.

mildred

Quote:
    “I would suggest this might be part of your problem, no one prepared to organise themselves into a group that FC would be prepared to work with. You can get things done, but most MTBers aren’t prepared to pick up a shovel, but are quite happy to moan and winge at other peoples work”

Playing devil’s advocate, I could argue that if a particular venue wants to position itself as a destination/facility worth travelling to, why should your average cyclist feel any obligation to pick up a shovel? Do swimmers at your local baths turn up in the their spare time and help clean body fat out of the showers? Do local Sunday League football players take it in turns to paint the white lines, and cut the grass? No, they don’t – they have a hobby/sport that they enjoy to take part in, but don’t feel obliged to involve themselves in every facet of the organistaion of it – why should MTBers feel obliged to do the same?

I see anyone’s input, whether positive or negative as valid.

A publicly funded organisation such as FC should be open to criticism. who was consulted on the trail’s design? where was the work advertised? which rider’s group helped guide the design?

The trails in Sherwood Pines have always been a bit hit and miss, but there are still some real singletrack gems. These have usually evolved from, as mentioned above, deer runs and the like, and usually, by default, have sympathy for the local flora and fauna and geography. My advice to anyone is to travel there, use the marked trails as a starting point, but don’t be afraid of venturing off the beaten path.

abductee
    Free Member

BAnana

I think you will find that plenty of advice has been offered to the FC from the likes of Adey and Gravy but it has fallen on deaf ears. I started my website to organise people into a group. It’s easy for you to criticise the criticisers when you don’t know the politics but I wouldn’t say that providing a load of signposts F.O.C. after the first lot got stolen was what can be described as “moan and winge at other peoples work”

I would gladly give up some weekend time to improve those off camber corners but I’m not doing it on my own and there’s no point asking other people to help and approaching the FC unless I have a reasonable user list.

http://www.sherwoodpines.yolasite.com

adey205
    Free Member

have to agree with abductee. yes there were build days organised, but as far as i’m aware, they were aimed at the dirt jump area.
    i don’t recall there being any consultation being offered with regard to the main trails. had there been,i’m sure people would have offered thier opinions/ideas as to what should’ve been built.
    there are several sections on the route that would benefit from some serious re-work, i.e, re-camber the track.
    one section in mind has me slowing right own due to the number of times it’s bit me, and i know the bloody things there.

if the f.c. were to offer up dig days with something like free coffee for the day, or something along those lines, i’m sure folks would get involved

Gravy
    Free Member

Well I did offer. I know how to build sustainable trails with drainage that doesn’t upset the customer. Have own tools. And have years of experience in civil engineering. Offered my assistance to the correct parties and no one needed any help. So this is the state of the trails that have not been open for 6 months yet.
    It’s better than it was but as been said the gaffers missed a golden opportunity, sure I ride them, sure ive been a victim of them. Wonder what they will be riding like this time next year ?? 😆

Kramer
    Free Member

It needs more obstacles, loads of them, like there are on the downhill sections. Also the trail needs to be better drained, and to be constructed out of a more durable material.

Gravy
    Free Member

As I understand it, a covering of aggregate was offered by the trail builders but of course the head honcho knew that this would not be required.

adey205
    Free Member

kramer’s got it for me. needs more obstacles.

would it need aggregate if it was drained properly?

abductee
    Free Member

It did have an obstacle but they took it out doh

adey205
    Free Member

that was it though.
    removed by the ” wrap’em in cotton wool fairy”

Kramer
    Free Member

It’s a shame, because the area’s got potential, and could be much better than it is.

adey205
    Free Member

“It’s a shame, because the area’s got potential, and could be much better than it is”

GOT THAT RIGHT!

joiner
    Free Member

they could put chicken runs in like other places do……

adey205
    Free Member

what? and ruin all that lush green soft landing(hiding all those nasty big tree stumps)

(thats when the off camber shit bites!)

franki
    Free Member

I spent a few days last week staying with my bother near Mansfield and we rode out to Sherwood Pines a couple of times via Thieves Wood and other places.
    It was the first time I'd been since the new trails have been built and tbh, I don't think they're too bad.
    Better use could have been made of the (limited) height and some sections seemed very tedious and slow, but combining the Kitchener Trail with the downhill tracks and a spin round the blue trail made a reasonable ride.
    The corners, as mentioned already are not very impressive. I found myself right on the edge of the camber many times and they are getting ripped up in places. A few berms would add to the flow no end.
    There were a couple of sections I really liked, but oddly – some of the downhills on the blue route were faster and more fun.
    The downhill courses were enjoyable, but more of an xc skill level tbh. I had no worries on a rigid ss, but you could get some decent air on a more suitable bike if you're that way inclined.

Not too bad in summary, but could have been better executed.

I didn't know Cotic sponsered the xc trail. Did Cy and the AQR peeps have a hand in the design too, I wonder? I know they know the forest well.

funkynick

I'd missed most of this thread, but would just like to add that there were dig days for the xc trail, as I went to 2 of them! They took place during the spring of last year but each time I went there was only 1 or 2 other people who turned up plus Becky the ranger.

But there weren't really dig days as I thought they would be, we didn't dig out and lay a trail properly, it was more just clearing leaves off a pre-planned path where they had taken trees and branches out.

Actually, thinking about it, am not sure if all the bits I helped with are even in the trail now!! I'll have to go for an explore next time I am there and see if I can find them…

topangarider
    Free Member

Apparently Cy offered his opinion on some lines for that bit out the back of the car park, hence the Cotic logos up by means of gratitude.

Oh, and by the way – build days were organised. Me and a mate went on one. About 4 other guys turned up. And there was free coffee. So you guys who were moaning – get up off your arses next time.

franki
    Free Member

Apparently Cy offered his opinion on some lines for that bit out the back of the car park, hence the Cotic logos up by means of gratitude.

That's one of the better sections IMHO! 🙂

abductee
    Free Member

Are you claiming responsibility for the trail design then?

(Sharpening pitchfork)

topangarider
    Free Member

No – just manual labour. Someone had already pegged out the route.

abductee
    Free Member

Ah so they had you digging the ditches on the off camber corners to get the wheels stuck in then. Shame I wasn't there to help.

topangarider
    Free Member

And they made me bury those tree stumps smack in the middle of the trail as you blast out of a blind bend……..

abductee
    Free Member

Now I get it. It's an attempt to recreate the tank traps found in the first world war. I guess Kitchener's army were trained in building them when it was a WW1 army camp. Next time they have a dig day I will assist by burying some sections of railway lines sticking up out of the trail. On a blind corner obviously.

Gravy
    Free Member

So a few guy's/gal's turn up to find they are in the minority, you did'nt think this a bit suspicious at the lack of help/enthusiasm. There was a lot of interest when help was first asked for( I think that we maybe thought that we would be able to have a voice and contibute to making trails that we would love to ride time and again) but as time went slowly on with the lack lustre development interest was unfortunately lost and of course when others turn up to help there are very few others in attendance. In my opinion if there could have been some kind of understanding that for our help we would have liked some input into what exactly happened with type and direction of trails (yes I know what your thinking), of course it was always going to be a compromise but I'm sure rider input instead of forest manager input is going to go hundreds of miles further for the people who want to come along and sample Sherwoods trails.
    I understand that at Cannock Chase they have around 60 riders who help on "dig days" and with trail maintenance etc, it seems to be working there between the FC and the riders so hopefully one day we can have the same situation at Sherwood. The trails are better than what they were but there is so much more that can be done to make riders come back again and again. Time is on our side.

Carbis

I volunteered for trail building, on the 2 occasions I was told there was a building day on I got e-mails only 2 days before to let me know that trail building was taking place. At that notice I couldn't make it due to other commitments.
    The Cannock Chase trail builders give a lot of notice and have loads of posters up publicising the event and messages on the Chase Trails web site, the better organisation is probably why they get more people.
    The Kitchener Trail is a start but poor drainage and design needs to be dealt with.
    So, when is the first secret dig night to correct their mistakes going to take place?

adey205
    Free Member

carbis. we can organise secret dig nights anytime.
    and we'd let people know well in advance 😆

as i'm led to understand, chase trail builders have a really good rappor with f.c which allows them acertain amount of artistic licence in trail deseign and building, which in turn leads to a great venue for riding.

pines could offer so much more if this was the case there.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

adey – Come on now, a Cannock Chase level of rappor between FC and potential trail builders is the thing of dreams.

Remember, trail building money is for buying flash ticket machines and street lights. If there's any left over though a Bobcat digger is just the thing you need to create nice, wide, singletrack.

🙁

adey205
    Free Member

lol @ sootyandjim
    you dont know the f.c bods personally do you? your comment's to near the truth for me.
    might have to watch what i'm saying from now on. 😕

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Is it true that one of the best constructed pieces of trail at Sherwood Pines is the bit that runs to the house near the main gate occupied by someone with a degree of influence?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Sherwood Pines – Kitchner Trail’ is closed to new replies.