• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ste_t.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sherry does it keep well
  • trout
    Free Member

Far in the mists of time my Bro in law was given a very large bottle of Harveys Bristol Cream sherry
    we made a pact that it would be opened at the first of either of our kids to get married .
    that was 35 years ago and from memmory I thing it was about 20 years old then so what will it be like
    will it kill us all
    thing is My eldest has announced her wedding next sept so we will have to open it but dont want to kill all the guests off .

cloudnine
    Free Member

Harveys Bristol Cream sherry… just because you have it doesnt mean you should drink it. You could have buckfast as an apertif!!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This might be a worlds first

69er_Gav
    Free Member

Do not drink. Most sherries are meant to be drunk within a year or two of production other than very good quality Pedro Ximinez, Palo Cortado, Oloroso etc

I suspect as soon as you open it you’ll know it should have been consumed 50 odd years ago. Better off flogging to a museum imho.

Had it been a bottle of vintage port, you’d be laughing!

BigJohn

If it was stored upright the air will have got in and oxidised it as the cork will have dried out. However with the high alcohol and sugar content that may not be such a problem.

It does have one inherent problem though – it’s Harvey’s Bristol Cream. Disgusting sweet pap, IMHO. But you’ll be able to tell straight away if it’s bad. A nasty vinegar smell and taste.

If it tastes OK to your palate go ahead.

slowoldman

It’s perfectly safe to open it. Just don’t drink it. Buy a nice fino.

scandal42
    Free Member

Don’t listen to these Audi driving snobs, It’s a lovely tipple and I won’t drink it unless there is a lovely layer of dust on the bottle 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Now if you’d have bought a fine wine or a great whisky then it would have been a great idea. But HBC? Jeez!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Test it on the Dog first??

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Mix it with lemonade, be reet.

shermer75
    Free Member

Let us know how it goes, might put a couple of bottles aside myself 😉

sandwicheater

So who’s kid is getting married?

Just drink it.

globalti
    Free Member

Buy a bottle of Manzanilla and drink it very cold with some cheese and olives. Delightful!

Be sure to finish the bottle because Manzanilla begins to oxidise as soon as you open it.

ste_t
    Free Member

Would the risk of death make it any more palatable?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sherry does it keep well’ is closed to new replies.