Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Sheldon Brown 'Fender nuts' for mudguards on carbon road forks…
  • 13thfloormonk

Looking to fit some proper full length guards to my Rose Xeon. There is no clearance under the fork crown, not even a Crud Roadracer 2 guard will fit under there, so I was thinking of just bringing a guard up to the back of the fork.

Problem is with the recessed brake nut there is nothing to secure the guard to. Cue ‘Sheldon Fender Nuts’ which basically secure your calliper normally, but then leave a female thread at the back to thread a mudguard bolt into. Genius.

Only problem is, I can’t see how it would work as all the images suggest the ‘head’ of the fender nut should stick out the back of the fork, but on a carbon road fork it’s going to sit deep inside the fork. I see no problem mounting the guard that way, just can’t figure out if the bolt would actually fit inside the recess.

I’ve emailed SJS to ask, just wondering if anyone on here has used them?

Ta

muddodger
    Free Member

Mine use brackets that fit to the front of the fork, behind the brake.
    (SKS Raceblade Long)

slowster
    Free Member

but on a carbon road fork it’s going to sit deep inside the fork. I see no problem mounting the guard that way, just can’t figure out if the bolt would actually fit inside the recess.

Does the existing brake nut sit deep inside the fork?

If it does I suggest you measure the depth/extent to which the existing bolt is recessed in the fork. According to the Q&A on SJS Cycle’s website, the shaft length is 32mm and the head is an additional 10.5mm, so you should able to determine

a). Whether the head of the bolt will protrude to allow the mudguard bracket to be bolted to it, and

b). Whether the shaft is long enough to engage with the brake bolt (compare with the length of the shaft of the existing bolt).

slowster
    Free Member

b). Whether the shaft is long enough to engage with the brake bolt (compare with the length of the shaft of the existing bolt nut).

FTFM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Sheldon Brown 'Fender nuts' for mudguards on carbon road forks…’ is closed to new replies.