• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by will.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sheffield ss'ers
  • southernsteel
    Free Member

I was thinking about going ss after christmas and was wondering what gear people are riding?
    Also what gear for riding this side of the peaks?
    Thanks

bonzodog
    Free Member

Round these parts (and most parts) its 32 x 16 on a 26er & 32 x 18 – 29er.

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

I wouldn't unless your knees are made of steel (Sheffield Stainless of course).

I ran 1×9 which was ok but there are too many steep climbs to warrant SS.
    A mate tried it last year and destroyed his knees and walked loads of climbs.

Theres my 2 pence worth.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i'm a noobie to the world of ss'ing, and i live in sheffield.

i started off with 32:16, but by crikey i found it hard going. i'm now running 32:18 – which i'm told is known as 'yorkshire gearing'.

(you can of course do what you want, but you are also allowed to take it easy at first and see how your body reacts)

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

I have to say I am impressed with anyone who rides SS in the peaks. That is that rides up the majority of the climbs. Cant imagine its easy going up any of the big ones like Shatton,Win hill or Mamtor.

ahwiles
    Free Member

it is true to say that single-speeds actually have 3 speeds; sit, stand and walk. i use all 3 regularly.

BadlyWiredDog

I rode singlespeed over a winter in the Peak a couple of years back, 32:16. I'm a pretty average rider but I got used to it surprisingly quickly, though it was tough at first, and found most climbs were doable after a couple of months. Give yourself a few weeks to get used to it, you'll be surprised how quickly your body adapts, I think.

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

I feel distinctively bellow average now, I struggle up those climb on a 1×9 enough to make me switch back to a 3×9 set up.

BadlyWiredDog

That's what I'm saying though. The first time I went out on a singlespeed in the Peak I though my lungs were going to explode, my lower back hurt like hell and I couldn't believe how hard it was. But you do get used to it. And I ride 32:17 now because I'm not strong enough for 32:16 🙁

ChrisF
    Free Member

Various people I know use 32:16, 17 or 18. Most Peak climbs are rideable once you have adapted to it. That means physically adapting (legs and lungs and lower back), and mentally adapting (being prepared to work hard on climbs and dig out a bit of aggression now and then). I used to find I got blisters on my hands on long rides too.

miketually
    Free Member

32:17 is the Gear Of Champions.

duncan

34:17 here. A decent rule of thumb I've found is that any climb you usually do middle ring will go without too much trouble on an SS.

will
    Free Member

42:18 for me.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

42:18 for me

Off road?

will
    Free Member

Yeh

jackthedog
    Free Member

Off road?

Yeh

He's not kidding, I've seen the madness with my very eyes. Not far off my bloomin commute gear, that.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Off road?

Yeh

He's not kidding, I've seen the madness with my very eyes. Not far off my bloomin commute gear, that.[/quote]

Bloody hell, my commute gear is 42×17!

will
    Free Member

It is a challenge on some of the rougher climbs, but mostly do able

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield ss'ers’ is closed to new replies.