• This topic has 18 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Del.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sheffield council signage – No cycling on a bridleway?
  • james
    Free Member

What’s this about then?

ahwiles
    Free Member

i can only assume that it’s been ‘modified’ by some grumpy sod with WAAAAY too much time on their hands.

it’s hard to tell from the photo, but that looks a bit like Grenoside – in which case it’s a known problem.

believe it or not, the Sheffield rights of way team are, by and large, sensible, hard working, and very much on ‘our’ side.

zippykona

Had this in Croydon once. Contacted council and made them sort it out.
    All ended happily so give em a call.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Judgeing by the way they’ve covered the council logo, I’m guessing militant dog walkers, ramblers or horsey types.

AndrewL

Definitely looks modified, the slightly different coloured green block at the same level as the blue arrow normally has a white horse, bike and walker on.

scotroutes

Could it be a Permissive Bridleway and the landowner just doesn’t like bikes?

sofatester
    Free Member

it’s been ‘modified’ by some grumpy sod

This.

Ride on.

dannyh
    Free Member

MRA activity. Ignore.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Is it screwed on?

Anyway, please replace with stickers of your own choice.

matt_outandabout

It could be the council – the whole time we were there (10 years) they had a no cycling sign at the entrance to Hunters Bar park, on the bridleway sign and another on the entrance to another bridleway in Rivelin.

FOG

There used to be a permissive bridle way through the woods near Manchester road in Crosspool which had a ‘horses only ‘ sign which claimed to be a Sheffield Council sign! If a bridle way is concessionary or permissive does it have the same access as a legal one ?

docrobster
    Free Member

Looks like the no cycling signs that were stuck up in greno woods recently. Claiming to be from the council, which isn’t the landowner and therefore not likely to be wasting time sticking signs up.
    Easy enough to remove. Allegedly.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If a bridle way is concessionary or permissive does it have the same access as a legal one ?

It means the landowner lets you use it as such but you have no legal right [ of way ]to do so

Generally there is a period each year [ one day or time frame] where they withdraw it so the continuous use claim cannot be made
    Apart from that if it is a bridleway anyone who can use a bridleway can use it.

essentially the landowner can withdraw the permission if they ever choose to with an actual bridleway they cannot prevent access to it

asbrooks

It seems that it is up to the local authorities whether we can ride on bridleways or not, looks like we are slowly being muscled out of places where we can ride.
    See extract below. Not sure if it has been updated recently.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/41

Riding of pedal bicycles on bridleways.

(1)Any member of the public shall have, as a right of way, the right to ride a bicycle, [F87not being a mechanically propelled vehicle], on any bridleway, but in exercising that right cyclists shall give way to pedestrians and persons on horseback.

(2)Subsection (1) above has effect subject to any orders made by a local authority, and to any byelaws.

(3)The rights conferred by this section shall not affect the obligations of the highway authority, or of any other person, as respects the maintenance of the bridleway, and this section shall not create any obligation to do anything to facilitate the use of the bridleway by cyclists.

(4)Subsection (1) above shall not affect any definition of “bridleway” in this or any other Act.

[F88(5)In this section “mechanically propelled vehicle” does not include a vehicle falling within paragraph (c) of section 189(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.]

willyboy
    Free Member

matt_o; there isn’t actually a bridleway through endcliffe park; hence the sign at Hunters Bar. I know most people ride through it but it isn’t a bridleway until you cross the road to Bingham and thats permissive.

scaredypants

change to “no cycling slowly – push on”

steveh

This is in Wharncliffe woods and is a permissive bridleway, it was signed as such for a while but has changed. Som understanding is that it is a legit sign.
    Cycling is not allowed on permissive bridleways by law hence the sign. Most I know still use the trail.

antigee

a steveh said it is a permissive bridleway and it is up to the landowner who can use it and how – in this case it is sheffield city council – my belief it is part of Wheatawoods which is council owned

a couple of bizarre points the sign is actually on the Barnsley side of the boundary. The signs at the other end (In Sheffield) don’t include the no cycling so riding down the hill is ok

no longer live in area but that was one of my favourite routes to get to Greno woods – have been challenged by walkers a couple of time not on that lower section as it is not popular but on the upper section and I’ve just pointed out that my understanding is that SCC encourages cycling on land that it owns and that very few of the paths in the area have any legal status as rights of way and that walking is also at the discretion of the landowner.

Del

It seems that it is up to the local authorities whether we can ride on bridleways or not, looks like we are slowly being muscled out of places where we can ride.

not really. the council can apply to have a bylaw put in place to exclude user groups but i doubt it happens a lot.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield council signage – No cycling on a bridleway?’ is closed to new replies.