Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Sheffield City Centre – where's nice for Sunday lunch?
  • finbar
    Free Member

I’m looking for somewhere not too far from the train station, so my usual haunts are out. Wig and Pen is closed on Sundays. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

docrobster
    Free Member

Milestone at Kelham island run by same people and is open Sundays I think, or do you need to be closer to the station?
    We like the sellers wheel but it may not be what you’re after: http://tampercoffee.co.uk/kiwi-cafe-culture/locations-2/

Home

finbar
    Free Member

Thanks docrobster – I know the Milestone well, but due to mobility/time constraints I’m looking for somewhere actually in the centre of town.

Tamper is nice too but looking for more of a Sunday lunch type place.

jimslade
    Free Member

The Rutland does nice grub and it’s pretty close to the train station.

finbar
    Free Member

Thanks jimslade, I’ll check it out. I think someone that I know’s pigs are currently on the menu there actually!

finbar
    Free Member

Just booked the Rutland – surprisingly good reviews 🙂

christhetall
    Free Member

Have you booked the Rutland Arms or the Rutland Hotel ?

The Rutland Arms is a pub near the train station – does great food (and beer), but not exactly your sit down Sunday lunch, and I’d be a bit surprised if it takes bookings.

The Rutland Hotel sounds more likely, but it’s up past the Hallamshire Hospital (I think)

docrobster
    Free Member

To be honest I’m struggling. Says a lot for Sheffield dining. There’s silversmiths near the station and verogusto in town but neither open Sundays either. You may have to walk up past the theatres towards St. Paul’s place where there are the usual suspects like picollinos, pizza express et al. All a bit samey though. Ego next to millennium galleries?

slowoldman

When I last lived in Sheffield it was the Harlequin chippy or the Stonehouse. Ah, memories.

ahwiles
    Free Member

The Harlequin chippy is now ‘Roast’, good food and even better coffee.

don’t *think* it’s open on Sunday though…

HansRey

Dev Cat, Bill’s Place, Three Barrels or Old House?

mugsys_m8

Showroom cinema maybe? Can’t get closer to the station. Although been a while since I have been to my spiritual UK home

Killer
    Free Member

Rutland Arms has great grub and great value, but its more of a local boozer than a gastro nice place.

Anchorage in West One is very good food.

Old house and the Gatsby also recommended

Theres also Gusto, but not sure what that’s like for sunday lunch.

andy8442
    Free Member

Leeds

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Stay on the train until you get to Grindleford!

I can’t recommend anywhere specific, but I wouldn’t fancy the Rutland – we go in there before footy sometimes and it doesn’t strike me as somewhere I’d want to eat. I’d wander up to the crucible and find somewhere near there

finbar
    Free Member

Hmm. Thanks all – read this good review of the Rutland, but you’re right – doesn’t sound like the ideal venue for a family lunch (especially if there’s a home game on at the weekend).

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/what-s-on/food-drink/review-from-slutty-rutty-buttys-to-foraged-wild-mushrooms-fine-pub-food-at-its-best-1-7462250

I’ve booked Anchorage as an ‘American-style Sunday roast’ sounds novel and they’ve got 40% off food in Jan 🙂

jimmy

Novel, yes.

specky4eyes
    Free Member

You could have tried the realjunkfood project’s cafe at the Regather works. They have a Sunday lunch made from intercepted food. It is Pay as you feel and comes highly recommended. Here http://realjunkfoodsheffield.com/2016/01/05/openings-times-january-2016/

slowoldman

The Harlequin chippy is now ‘Roast’,

Noooooooo.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield City Centre – where's nice for Sunday lunch?’ is closed to new replies.