• This topic has 22 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Sheffield…
  • Bedds
    Free Member

So, I’ve just got a 3 month contract for a company in Sheffield. Good news as I’ve been unemployed for 3 months following redundancy, but it leaves me with a slight issue..

I live in the FOD and don’t really know anything about where’s good and where’s not to live. I’m thinking about a flat share, having winced at the price of travel lodge type options, drive / train up on a monday morning and drive / train home friday evening.

What are your collective thoughts / suggestions / experiences?

oh, and is there much easy access riding there? 😉

jet26
    Free Member

There’s the odd bit!

Dino
    Free Member

Would think west of sheff but exactly where would depend on ure budget,
    plenty of riding out that way and easy access to peaks, I’m sure some guys who are local will have some good suggestion.

Dino
    Free Member

P.s
    u could ask the Biketree lot, they are based in west sheff on dore rd/ millhouses
    they also ride out in that bit of sheff and some will no doubt live in the area

Martz
    Free Member

The only way is S6…

Bedds
    Free Member

well I’ll be working in the S6 area Martz! thanks for the advice so far 🙂

thejesmonddingo

Usually plenty of places in Walkley,fairly studenty,OK for 3 months.
    ian

finbar
    Free Member

S6 (or S11 if you want to spend a bit less).

ahwiles
    Free Member

S6 can be beautiful/nice/allright/upandcoming…

you’ll pay around £300 to £400/month for a nice enough room in a shared house, bills included.

(with a high chance of finding a bike/climbing/sports friendly house)

S6 or S10 would be on my list (S10 is closer to my favourite pubs).

i hope you like biking and beer…?

(bring a mountainbike, a road bike, and a bmx)

Bedds
    Free Member

cheers all 🙂 biking yes.. beer err… 😉

SBrock
    Free Member

Your on the doorstep to some of the best riding in the UK IMHO

Pook

Crookes, Walkley, Broomhill, all nice.

You’re welcome out biking with us too – as SBrock says, the best riding is right here. Literally out the back door.

Welcome to Sheffield – you won’t leave!

Bedds
    Free Member

Cheers all.. once I get a start date I’ll be getting back in touch I imagine.. do you ride mid-week Pooks?

oh, and I’d better want to leave, my missus is staying down sarf! 😉

hp_source

If you time it nicely could you perhaps manage some cheap accommodation in a Student house/flat whilst they’re all on summer break? Don’t know how many landlords do that…

Again, Broomhill are and surrounding are pretty good, and the right side for the peaks etc.

trailrat
    Free Member

As above, S6 is the place to be – Crookes / Walkley. A regular wed night ride goes from round here. If you want to be shown around just PM or post back on here when your in town.

thepodge
    Free Member

A surprising amount of S6 love on this thread. Nothing wrong with that mind. Been in S6 for 8 years now.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

I know of a shared house in S7 ? (Abbey Lane/ whirlowdale road), backs onto the Ecclesall woods, pub across the road.

Im pretty sure the tenancy goes to October, sharing with the remaining occupant.

Bloody nice house … PM me if you want details.

And defo get in touch with the Bike Tree, they head out on a Wednesday ride (although I am still building the courage to join them 🙂

alex222
    Free Member

s6 all the way. about 2 miles to wharney via beely wood. once there greno and whaney are your oyster.

thepodge
    Free Member

thinking about it my mate is renting his S6 house, email me if you’re interested

Bedds
    Free Member

I’m here… in S4, couldn’t get a place in s6 – the company phoned and had moved forward my start date. It’s not ideal, but it’s only for 3 months.

If the contract gets extended then I’ll def be getting in touch with you boys again about houses.. thanks for the various offers.

Re: biking, I’m down the lurgy at present, as soon as that is sorted I’m going to be bringing my stuff up for a bit of commuting.. I’ll make sure I come say hello on a wednesday.. if you don’t mind a soft southerner who rides slowly coming along! 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

S4?

😯

…good curries tho’

Bedds
    Free Member

sorry.. S8.. i’m not sure where ‘4’ came from

Pook

How do – sorry, just picked this back up again. Yeah we ride mid -week, generally from about 6.30pm. If you want some relaxed social rides to get to know the area a bit you’re more than welcome. I’m tempted to get out tomorrow night too

Welcome to Sheffield!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield…’ is closed to new replies.