Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Sheep worrying idiocy
  • mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Maybe I could also be hanged, drawn and quartered after being shot and trampled by cattle, why do it by half?

franksinatra

My view is that unless your dog will walk to heel with absolute control you should not walk them off the lead near pregnant ewes or young lambs.

Doesn’t matter how good the recall is, most dogs are on another planet once they start chasing so recall will go out of the window.

My dog is subject to an annual stock test due to needing to work her around livestock but I am still extremely cautious around lambing time

jam-bo

whilst not condoning irresponsible dog owership.

doesn’t sound like the sheep were particulary worried.

McHamish
    Free Member

Dog owners who let their dogs run in sheep fields should accept the consequences when a farmer shoots their dog.

I’m sure you’ll cry and shout at the farmer, but he won’t care.

anagallis_arvensis

I’m sure you’ll cry and shout at the farmer, but he won’t care.

Actually most farmers I know love dogs and really dont want to sboot them.

JackHammer

IANASF, but shirley the noise shooting a dog would be more detrimental to the mental state of the sheep.

Totally agree you keep dogs on leads, most of the time if not all the time. If you want them to run around without a lead buy a house with a large garden.

Drac

IANASF, but shirley the noise shooting a dog would be more detrimental to the mental state of the sheep.

A single shot compared to a prolonged attack from a dog? No.

martinhutch

Not really but they sheepdog is highly trained and controlled not running around at random.

Plus I saw this documentary where, when the farmer is asleep, farm dogs are bezzie mates with the sheep and even work with them against the farmer. 🙂

JackHammer

hadnt thought of that tbf.

franksinatra

Plus I saw this documentary where, when the farmer is asleep, farm dogs are bezzie mates with the sheep and even work with them against the farmer.

yes but we are talking about dogs, not pigs

ulysse
    Free Member

A 2.2 rimfire aint much louder than a popgun…

graemecsl
    Free Member

Had to put one of mine down because he went for sheep, not much use as a trail dog if they won’t come to heel when you come across livestock, he just wasn’t wired right. I got away with it for a few years by using a lead but we moved house and the field right opposite suddenly became populated by sheep shortly after we moved in and he went mad, constantly trying to get them it would only have been a matter of time and since he’d recently failed his not biting the passing school kids test he had to go, sometimes you just can’t train them, we didn’t get him until 13 weeks, a Doberman, they make short work of Shawn.

monde
    Free Member

13 weeks? Best age to train a dog from especially a Doberman?

theotherjonv

since he’d recently failed his not biting the passing school kids test

but it was the sheep thing that made you get rid?

anagallis_arvensis

Yeah **** it if you cant train em kill em!

franksinatra

are you seriously suggesting that the reason you couldn’t train your doberman was because you didn’t get him until he was 13 weeks?

Wow

graemecsl
    Free Member

theotherjonv – Member
    since he’d recently failed his not biting the passing school kids test
    but it was the sheep thing that made you get rid?

It was the accumulation, three sheep killed, an ‘incident’ with an alleged bite of a passing kid, which we suspect was more fear of his barking and maybe a nip, the police could provide no evidence of a bite and trust me if he had bitten the kid seriously would know about it, but dangerous dogs are dangerous dogs in the eyes of the law. The move away we thought would give him a reprieve but when a few weeks later more sheep turned up quite literally on the doorstep, SWMBO who was already in the frame with a ‘caution’ could stand frayed nerves no longer and personally had I had a gun at the last sheep incident I would have shot him on the spot. It’s difficult, a tough choice but as I said he was wired wrong the place we got him from was more a rescue than a purchase, single bloke, small yard full of puppies and as I said it was thirteen weeks(according to him), you really need to train puppies from 8 weeks especially something as powerful as a Doberman, our previous dog was a much loved Rottweiler and this thing was a pale imitation of a dutiful family protector and we’ve owned and bred German Shepherds, the point here is responsibility to live stock and farmers. The vet only did what was necessary after many attempts at rehoming.

Drac

It’s never the dog, claiming it wasn’t wired up right was an excuse for poorly trained. On top of that you then move opposite a field.

Poor dog.

andyl
    Free Member

I’m a sheep farmer. I have also caught an escaped husky mid killing a pregnant ewe.

I don’t have a gun but am considering doing so purely for this eventuality which is a sad state of affairs.

Someone from HR in my day job looked disgusted yesterday when this topic came up and i calmly said i would shoot someones dog if i had to. It wouldn’t bring any pleasure but neither does losing sheep through the actions of an irresponsible dog owner who thinks they have some God given right to walk their dog where they like.

Another thing that gets me fired up is people allowing their dog to crap in farmers fields and not picking it up. Makes me want to follow them home and curl one out in their fridge!

mattyfez

Sorry for the thread revival, and it’s probably out of context as this was probably an unsupervised, untrained dog, but it is a bad thing.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Sheep worrying idiocy’ is closed to new replies.