Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 161 total)
  • Sheep free places to walk in lake district
  • SD-253
    Free Member

user-removed – Member
    SD-253…. Yes cows are interested in people and will amble over to investigate walkers, but that is a very different proposition from having a herd ‘lock-on’ to your dog and start charging.

Again I say that you have absolutely no idea if they were charging you because of your dog. Once when walking through the night with a friend an entire heard of cows charged at us and I am talking of probably a hundred or so as usual they went round. Again no dog. Cows do sometime amble over to you but I would say a50% of the time they charge at you. How in hell do you know they were “locking” on to the dog?

Very occasionally I’ll forget about a field with cows and calves and take my dog for a walk in the wrong place. It’s happened a few times over the years

Surely you know the fields the cattle are in.

the cattle are in and it really is terrifying

Get a grip of yourself they go round you

– as has been said, the only thing to do is let the dog off the lead so it can make a break for the nearest exit.

You must have very agile dog how does it get over the stile? Further more I doubt if would even know where the exit is or put another way the cattle would chase him all day

And believe me, these cows are definitely intent on trampling the dog. No doubt whatsoever.

Well I have a doubt and further more initially they will run away from dog but will turn on it after a short period and dogs will not automatically run like hell because they are more agile than the cattle allot more. The dog will quite often continue to chase the cattle until they get tossed (assuming horns)

The dog does not then turn round and start worrying several tones of bovine angriness – he legs it. So please do stop spouting drivel.

Yes they do and I have seen them do so (although once tossed that dog never went near cattle again) the handler had to clear the cattle out of the way to work the dog (the dogs obedience left a lot to be desired) Also I have seen a farmer actually bring in the cows with a dog. The dog once hung onto one cows tail! The cows of course were used to being rounded up by the dog so that made a difference. Now you will have grasp this fact that you have no idea what the cows had in there mind when they charged you and did they trample you no because they run round…unless you run away. Get a grip there is nothing to be terrified about, just ignore them.

nickf
    Free Member

And believe me, these cows are definitely intent on trampling the dog. No doubt whatsoever.

Yep, I’ve had this. Sadly for the cows, my hound loves to be chased. She actually slows down, looks over her shoulder, then speeds up if anything gets within about 15 feet. After a few seconds the bovine badasses running after her realised the game was up, had the grace to look embarrassed about their pathetic attempts to catch Susie, then went back to munching.

The cows weren’t bothered about me at all.

richc
    Free Member

You must have very agile dog how does it get over the stile?

All the dogs i’ve seen would either go under it (little dogs) or over it (medium to large ones) no problem, I’ve seen my dog clear a 5 ft wall without breaking stride to chase a squirrel.

Surely you know the fields the cattle are in.

I don’t think I have the cow locator app on my phone, where do you get it? How the hell is someone supposed to know which fields have cows in the in advance of a walk?

anagallis_arvensis

for the attention of SD243

I have cattle dont like dogs especially when they have calves

should have said I have seen cattle, they were my fathers cattle. You clearly do not understand the difference between cattle coming up to you to see if you wil feed them and ones that are after a dog, horses will often attack dogs too. Vat majority of cattle and horses will not attack people but many will go for a dogs. You really do have no idea what you are talking about.

user-removed
    Free Member

Edited to avoid sinking to your level…

SD-253
    Free Member

richc – Member
    Oh god, I am agreeing with TJ, the shame.

SD 253, you are mad or a troll, so far on this thread you have admitted carrying offensive weapons with the intent to kill/maim, you have wished a painful death on walkers by crushing, and have gone against all known advice to drop the lead, if cattle decide the dog is a threat that needs to be dealt with, so that the dog can lure them off and you can *walk* (FFS don’t run, unless you don’t mind the slowest person in the group getting crushed) to safety.
    I am afraid most people who hunt carry knives so offensive weapon it is not and in the countryside it is pretty well normal to have a penknife with you hunter or not. I never said I would stab the dogs I said I carry stick to protect myself. A mushroom knife is curved so stabbing is not even possible. The skinning knife is a lock knife I would have to unlock it very quickly. I have not wished a painfull death on anyone I assume it would be quick and where does walkers come into it. I am out walking most days, hardly someone who wishes a “painfull death” on anyone. Really richc there is no point in lieing I would hardly ignore it. Again just ignore the cattle you ares scared because you have no knowledge. I am not scared because I have knowledge and I suggest everyone read what nickf has written above.

SD-253
    Free Member

richc – Member

I don’t think I have the cow locator app on my phone, where do you get it? How the hell is someone supposed to know which fields have cows in the in advance of a walk?
    Can I suggest looking in the feild first?

SD-253
    Free Member

richc – Member

You must have very agile dog how does it get over the stile?

All the dogs i’ve seen would either go under it (little dogs) or over it (medium to large ones) no problem, I’ve seen my dog clear a 5 ft wall without breaking stride to chase a squirrel.
    A wall is not a barbed wire fence

richc
    Free Member

The skinning knife is a lock knife I would have to unlock it very quickly.

I know that you aren’t going to listen but just incase someone else picks this up.

Lock knifes are illegal to carry in a public place for ANY reason, are are alway treated as offensive weapons, regardless of blade length.

If you are caught with one the penalty is upto 4 years in jail and a £4000 pound fine. Even if you buy one you need to receipt to prove that you have just brought it and are taking it home!

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I was mugged for polos by a donkey once when walking – it was very threatening and Welsh.
    I shot at a fox with a 12 bore on my step-dad’s family’s farm in Cheshire, I missed and now I’m glad I missed as a rural fox is a fine animal.
    I thought that our dog wasn’t interested in sheep until I had to chase her across Cheviot – she didn’t get shot but now she goes on a lead.
    I’m not sure if any of this is relevant.

aracer
    Free Member

I for one would support any campaign for a sheep (and cah) free environment.

Not sure why it’s an issue for you – surely that there Lahndahn you so love is already a sheep and cow free environment (apart from the bits of them in supermarkets).

ilovemygears
    Free Member

Cows do sometime amble over to you but I would say a50% of the time they charge at you. How in hell do you know they were “locking” on to the dog?

did you grow up in a town, they dont charge at you 50% of the time they come over to see what ur doing in there field so times quite fast but move suddenly and they will run the other way, Muppet! If they charged you you would know about it.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I will say this again it is rare for cattle not to run at you and I just went along footpath through a field of cattle and as usual they ran at me.

Strange, they only occasionally amble over when I go through a field, certainly never run.
    Maybe you just smell hot to them. You haven’t been splashing a bit too much Sex Heifer on your chest have you?

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Here’s the point ->.

you all might as well be on mars, you are missing it by so much.

I have 2 dogs, both rescues,

charley here:

beach + stick = happy dog by Evil Goat, on Flickr

is half collie and rather partial to games of chase. Squirrels are his favourite, but given half a chance he’d have a go at “rounding” sheep.

This is the important bit so read it and take note – I don’t let him off the lead near livestock.

Hence my desire to walk my dogs somewhere where there are no sheep!

Alfie:

Beach + sun = happy dog by Evil Goat, on Flickr

is pretty chilled out unless he sees that charley is threatened or is hot on the chase, then he will pile in at full speed.

They both have had experience of chasing and being chased by cows on my in-laws farm.

I will be walking them on and off the lead as appropriate to the location, but generally I will be planning to go places I can walk them more off the lead……

richc
    Free Member

You haven’t been splashing a bit too much Sex Heifer on your chest have you?

That was actually quite funny.

SD-253 go into a field of cows and shake a white plastic bucket, and you will quickly learn the difference between cows ambling and cows running towards you.

make sure you do this near a stile or gate though.

Nice dogs supersessions9-2, you can get sheep on beaches though ………….

SD-253
    Free Member

richc – Member

“how would you feel if your wife chidren or parents came accross 3 aggressive dogs”

I think any sane person, would answer this as follows: ‘I would feel angry, and outraged and want the owners of the dogs held to account’

Most, wouldn’t answer (well apart from on internet forums): ‘I would go all bruce lee on their asses, and knife them, let them bleed, let them blleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddddddddddddddd’ again I really can’t see where i said I would knife them although I would have every right to jsut like the farmer has or is worrying people acceptable to you. You appear to be very brave with other peoples children

If you do decide to knife one of three german shepards, I expect to be read something in the news in the future about a man maulled to death after attacking 3 family pets.

Argh I see if they are family pets it is okay for them to worry or attack people and if they attack me I would be at fault for protecting myself? Uhmm so you would be happy with me not protecting my children. I suppose you would be alright as you would be able to outrun your children……again irony as i hope I am wrong

ilovemygears
    Free Member

If you do decide to knife one of three german shepards, I expect to be read something in the news in the future about a man maulled to death after attacking 3 family pets.

well if you dogs killed my loved one, my farmers shotgun would kill you and ur **** shit producing dogs!

richc
    Free Member

Well considering out of control dogs is a civil offense with a fine of upto £1000, and you have admitted carrying around an offensive weapon which carries a penalty of upto 4 years in prison and a £4000 fine. I would be more worried about you, as the dog walker is committing a minor civil offence and you are committing a major criminal one.

well if you dogs killed my loved one, my farmers shotgun would kill you and ur **** shit producing dogs!

How would you kill a dog thats already been put down? or are you talking about murdering the owner after the police investigation?

Also bear in mind that the person commenting that the dogs are wild and out of control doesn’t know the difference between animals walking and charging, so his judgement doesn’t seem to be the best.

SD-253
    Free Member

did you grow up in a town,

Is that relative are you saying that I do not have aright to talk my experince on a regular basis.

they dont charge at you 50% of the time

I think thats for me to say not you granted I have not kept a note but if you read my examples then you would see I have the advantage of regularly being in a feild with cattle in. As in 2 or 3 times a week

they come over to see what ur doing in there field so times quite fast but move suddenly and they will run the other way,

I agree and have said so constanly although I will stick with running past you

Muppet!

Argh insults well that should win you the arguement

If they charged you you would know about it.

I have clearly said they charge you with no intent maybe we have a differnt definition

so times quite fast

ilovemygears
    Free Member

How would you kill a dog thats already been put down? or are you talking about murdering the owner after the poilice investigation?

Ok just for example im at home in one of my own fields with a small child that im related to, you are in the same field with ur dog, it attacks and kills said child, i go home get shot gun out , find you kill you…then call the police

richc
    Free Member

Ok just for example im at home in one of my own fields with a small child that im related to, you are in the same field with ur dog, it attacks and kills said child, i go home get shot gun out , find you kill you…then call the police

Surely the person, whose dog has just committed the horrenous act would have called the police first? and might have even destroyed the dog, as to tell the truth I cannot think of single sane person who would ever think of or could defend their dog after such an awful act, as ultimately as much as people care for a dog, its life is worth nothing compared to that of a person.

Also you are talking about premeditated murder, as you have actually had time to think about what you were going to do, planned it, and then commited the crime. So instead of one terrible horrenous act which has ended one life, you will have ended three (the child, the dog owner and yours as you would spend a long time in prison).

To tell the truth the thought of my dog or any dog killing a child makes me feel sick …..

SD-253
    Free Member

as the dog walker is committing a minor civil offence and you are committing a major criminal one.

What by allowing her dogs to attack you or your children? Having aggressivedogs of the lead without even a collars on?

How would you kill a dog thats already been put down? or are you talking about murdering the owner after the police investigation?
    Surely richc ilovemygears is talking about killing the dogs at the time why would it already be put down. Why do you think a farmer can shoot a dog that is worrying cattle but not one who is attacking his family. A rather sick view.

richc
    Free Member

aving aggressivedogs of the lead without even a collars on?

I am assuming of = off btw.

Have the dogs attacked your children? I am guessing No? then the owner is at worst; if found guilty would have committed the ‘civil’ offence of dogs dangerously out of control.

You on the other hand *HAVE* and *ARE* commiting the *CRIMINAL* offence of carrying an offensive weapon in a public place.

Surely richc ilovemygears is talking about killing the dogs at the time

No, he was talking about going home, getting a gun, killing the dog, and the owner then calling the Police. Most people don’t take their kids out for a walk with firearms in this country, I could be wrong though ……

SD-253
    Free Member

By the way richc why are they allowed to sell lock knives if they are illegal? And what constitutes a public place? Does the same rules apply to pen knives? What constitutes a lock knife I have it in front of me it opens and then appears to lock? as in I cannot close it withotu pressing down on the back of it? There is nothing ironic in this question

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

sd-253 – are the dogs really aggressive or just excited?

Are their tongues hanging and out and are they dancing around with their tails in the air?

SD-253
    Free Member

No, he was talking about going home, getting a gun, killing the dog, and the owner then calling the Police. Most people don’t take their kids out for a walk with firearms in this country, I could be wrong though ……

Actually you are wrong I know a game keeper who has gun with him and his children at the same time

No, he was talking about going home, getting a gun, killing the dog,

Just like a farmer does if he hasn’t got his gun handy which i would think is the vast majority of the time. Still be brave with other peoples children

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Lock knife – always illegal without good cause. pen knife excemption made for small ones under 3″

http://www.bkcg.co.uk/guide/law.html

richc
    Free Member

The are only illegal to carry in a public place, and the blade length doesn’t matter, they are legal at home. If you purchase one you need an itemised receipt to take it home, to ensure you won’t get arrested.

Remember the the big anti knife crime drive a few years ago? this was one of the laws the brought in to help the police target people who carry knives.

This article covers the subject better than I ever could:
    http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/opinion/comment/law-lock-knives-need-re-examination

If the blade, locks into place and requires a release catch its a lock knife.

I only really know about this as they was a big article in the guardian a year or so ago where a city lawyer got arrested, as the police saw him eating his lunch with a lock knife, and he was disputing the arrest and possible conviction as it would cost him his job (lawyers cannot have a criminal record).

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

sd-253, what sort of gun does he carry? a shotgun or a rifle or a high powered sniper rifle or a rpg?

SD-253
    Free Member

supersessions9-2 – Member
    sd-253 – are the dogs really aggressive or just excited?

Are their tongues hanging and out and are they dancing around with their tails in the air?
    Snarling and low to the groound. By the way I was a guard dog handler at the maze prison where the dogs were not trained to go for the arm but any part of the body they so choose. The baiter wore a suit made of double thickness of webbing with padding in between and bird cage helmet. He had to be fitted into the suit as there was no opening in the sleeves. I think that I would know aggression in a dog. Not being sarcastic towards you supersessions9-2 but to the lover of dogs no matter how aggresive they are to other peoples family

richc
    Free Member

Lock knife – always illegal without good cause. pen knife excemption made for small ones under 3″

Not true according to the Police

A lock knife is not a folding pocket knife and therefore it is illegal to carry around such a knife regardless of the length of the blade

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q337.htm

Snarling and low to the groound

Seriously, if you aren’t making this up, and they regularly do that (and the only reason I say regularly, is it will make it easier to prove) report them to the Police now! **** waiting for them to actually bite someone, its your civic reponsibility to let the authorities know immediately so they can take appropriate action, before they actually do attack someone.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Misunderzstanding

Lock knife – always illegal without good cause. Pen knife has excemption made for small ones under 3″

ie lock knife is never legal – a small non locking penknife is

SD-253
    Free Member

richc – Member
    The are only illegal to carry in a public place, and the blade length doesn’t matter, they are legal at home. If you purchase one you need an itemised receipt to take it home, to ensure you won’t get arrested.

Remember the the big anti knife crime drive a few years ago? this was one of the laws the brought in to help the police target people who carry knives.

I only really know about this as they was a big article in the guardian a year or so ago where a city lawyer got arrested, as the police saw him eating his lunch with a lock knife, and he was disputing the arrest and possible conviction as it would cost him his job (lawyers cannot have a criminal record).
    Argh a Guardian reader should have known! Thankyou all the same although you could answer the quetion about a pen knife? Also I am lost as to the differance I am pretty sure you could kill someone just as easy with a penknife? I wonder where my machete (the one with a curve on the end it is not called a machete) lies in all this?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I think you’re being ignored on your own thread, supersessions9-2.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Amazing troll. Bravo.

jam-bo

Isn’t it about time someone was called a nazi?

Or called the edinburgh defence?

Personally, I’m off to walk my dog off the lead

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I blame thatcher!

SD-253
    Free Member

Snarling and low to the groound

Seriously, if you aren’t making this up, and they regularly do that (and the only reason I say regularly, is it will make it easier to prove) report them to the Police now! **** waiting for them to actually bite someone, its your civic reponsibility to let the authorities know immediately so they can take appropriate action, before they actually do attack someone.
    Sorry got a phone call. I will next time but ithink i may have blown it ie I gave her a ton of abuse the last time her dogs came at me. So she may not use that route again but if I see her i am fairly certain where she parks her car. I will take the license number and photogaraph her but call the police first. Note I cannot recall ever seeing any dog on part of the route other than hers and there is fresh dog shite so she maybe still using it. As the dogs have no collars and no lead she may have problems finding somewhere to walk them. Why she does not collar them and no leads on I have no idea?

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Well we had a great time in the lakes.

We totally broke the rules and our dogs ran free on access land. No sheep or nesting birds were chased or harmed.

🙂

SD-253
    Free Member

richc – Member

Only just checked that article and It said this

You could say that you use it in your work, but even this explanation will not vindicate you – after arrest it will be a matter for the courts to decide.

Also did quick survey at country show I would say at least a third I asked had a lock knife with them. I think having it with me when I out walking (for skinning) is bound to be a reasonable excuse. You just cost me 14 quid as I bought a pen knife replacement………..nob head……..top knife though Rodgers of Shefield with a original blade beauty and a better skining knife but no use for dealing with mad dogs. Paypal would be the best way for you to pay me back just for the lock knife mind 7.50 pound. sd-235

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘Sheep free places to walk in lake district’ is closed to new replies.