Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shed security advice please
  • stayhigh

Morning all

I get a shed on friday which is rather exciting. Its a big step up from the cupboard under the stairs.

I’m looking for some advice and suggestions for securing the shed, what sort of padlocks, chains and alarms to use.

I intend to reinforce the area around the door with some lenghts of 2×4 running top to bottom. These will go behind where the hinges are and on the other side where the padlocks will be. I could use lenghts of metal instead.

I was planning on padlocks on the top and bottom of the door, the rounded ones if that makes sense?

The screws for the hinges are going to be replaced with round headed bolts that will be double nutted on the inside.

UNder the area where the bikes will be stored I’m going to fill two wooden boxes with concrete that have either ground anchors or D locks in them and I plan to have chains securing the bikes from there. I maybe able to get some steel eyelets to use rather then the d locks/anchors.

I’d also been thinking about alarms, some kind of PIR alarm maybe?

What can people advise for this please?

Cheers All

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Do a forum search, this has been done a krillion times 😆

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

dont put ur bike in it, leave in indoors were it is much safer

legspin
    Free Member

[list]http://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/acatalog/copy_of_Wireless-PIR-Magnetic-Door-Perimeter-Alarm-Alert-System-shed-garage.html
    [/list]

I have one of these, the main unit sits in the house running on mains with a battery backup.It uses a door sensor and a PIR for detection. You can also get a extra loud alarm to put in the shed.

edited to make a little more sense.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Get M&S insurance and don’t bother with all that security. It will be the cheaper option.

Stoner
    Free Member

M&S insurance costs have gone through the roof over the last 12 months.

It worked out at about +£400 a year extra than comparable AA cover. For that kind of extra premium, where I live, Id self insure. We’re still covered for all bikes, and one of them is stated separately (@£3.5k). M&S is no longer the go to for home insurance with bike cover IMO.

flip
    Free Member

Don’t put anything valuable in it, i went to open mine yesterday and the door fell off, some tosser had taken the hinge screws out. Luckily theres nothing of value and they left everything.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Really stoner? Will have to look around at renewal time. They were good last time around for us.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I have built a false wall in mine with some left over MDF and overlap fence panels I found tipped, I keep the bikes behind that. If you look through the window it’s quite convincing as the perspex distorts it quite a bit. I’ve done most of what your planning to do to secure yours, but in reality I agree with MF get a good insurance policy and make sure your covered. If someone wants to get into your shed they will and as a an burglar told me, the more a shed looks protected the more you think there’s good stuff inside.

It is very nice having a shed though if your used to the cupboard under the stairs.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve never claimed on insurance but if you claim surely for years (upto 5) your subsequent premiums will climb/increase?

Why not keep your favourite bike IN the house and the others your not too bothered about in the shed?

A shed is begging to be opened.

t_i_m
    Free Member

Shed Shackle

stayhigh

I agree that indoors is far safer & secure the a shed however its the garden for the bikes by order of Mrs stayhigh. My intention therefore is to make the shed as secure as I can.

Our current contents is through m&s but I’ve yet to check if thry have any specific requirements for sheds, licks & alarms. I assume there is some kind of grading for locks & chains etc?

The alarm linked looks quite sensible, again is there a standard to look for with them?

What about padlocks & chains? IIRC 22mm was mooted as a sensible size with the licks as high as possible to limit the amount of leverage that can be applied?

dobo
    Free Member

check out torc anchors, they have some fantastic chains and ancors. i have the 16mm protector chain and its mahoosive, bit overkill for a bike in a shed tbh, as it be easier to destroy the shed, cant be hand bolt cropped.
    also avoid cable locks they are also easy to chop, get a decent dlock for the front wheel.

coach bolts for the shed hinges and some shed reinforment maybe and decent ground ancor

stayhigh

How about padlocks and hasps for the outside of the shed, any good suggestions for there?

z1ppy

security ‘tag’ you know that thing at the top of the page…

stayhigh

Ah ha, cheers for that 😉

Android
    Free Member

I have a van lock and hasp on the door with spereader plates on the inside, Hinge Bolts fitted as well as a normal 5 lever lock.

Inside I have a ground anchor with super heavy duty chain and Kryptonite D-lock. Don’t use the D-lock to lock the front wheel, I have a D-lock and front wheel (all I have left of 3 bikes) to prove it, and don’t use a cable, croppers will go straight through them.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shed security advice please’ is closed to new replies.