Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shed lighting and electrics – your knowledge please
  • peterich
    Free Member

Hi all I’ve got an out building at the bottom of my garden which is well on its way to being a proper man cave. It is essential to me that I have this space for bikes and hiding from the wife and two daughters.
    I need some power out there and light for the dark nights on the way. I’m going to spur of the ring main in my house and run armoured cable about 18m down to the outhouse. So I’ll end up with a double socket and I’m thinking of running some lighting from it to.
    So questions how thick should the armoured cable be to run a couple of sockets and I’m thinking of led strip lighting as well.
    Any advice on how to run things from inside the outhouse and best lighting to use.
    Many thanks
    Pete

nickjb
    Free Member

Firstly the circuit needs to be rcd protected (sensible to have it for the whole house but essential for outdoor circuits). You’ll need to use swa cable. Ideally it should be buried, but the rules say it needs to be protected from potential damage so that can be interpreted. Some are happy to clip it to a fence but that’s not ideal imo.

You can work out cable sizes here depending on your load: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/VoltageDrop.html You might get away with 2.5mm but probably worth going bigger as its a small part of the overall cost.

Lighting will need to be fused down from the power circuit but you can use a switch fuse which can double as a light switch.

Ideally run the swa all the way but it can he tricky to terminate. I’d probably run some twin and earth to a box then connect to the swa in there. You could use a waterproof box on the outside and run the twin and earth through the wall into the back of it.

rmacattack
    Free Member

swa would be ideal, could use hituff buried in the ground in pipe also. you prob be ok 2.5mm but with the run of 18m 4mm prob better. id go to into a rcd protected 13a socket, wouldn’t advise more than one socket, but if you must go ahead, just dont be using a welder plugged in. from the rcd socket id go up to a switched fuse spur with a 5a fuse. this would be your light switch, then out of this to your lights. all cables inside wall or else in conduit. lighting in 1.5mm t+e. socket link in 2.5mm t+e.

orangewinger
    Free Member

What about a 12v battery and solar panel with led lighting? That’s what I’ve got in my garage and it works a treat, I don’t have any sockets and I guess if you need them that won’t be much use to you.

colster808
    Free Member

As above but I’d use one of these instead of a adaptable box.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-switched-weatherproof-rcd-fcu/20523
    Drill out the back of a socket on a external wall. Run twin from socket to spur in link. SWA from there to your shed. Fuse down again from socket in your shed for the lights with another switch fuse spur. Spur can also be you light switch.

2.5mm SWA will run a socket and a few led lights no problems. Use 4mm if it’s a long run.

If you need more power than that you’re better off running a new circuit from the consumer unit.

rmacattack
    Free Member

well op , howd u get on?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shed lighting and electrics – your knowledge please’ is closed to new replies.