Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 260 total)
  • Shed build – things I’m learning.
  • ronjeremy
    Free Member

Ref waterbutt, I think it may of been said already but how about having another running next to the first to take the overflow

Oh and keep up the good work

nbt

THis was covered in another thread, but if you want a waterbutt, consider an IBC tank – much bigger

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/water-butts-rainwater-harvesting-worth-it

AlexSimon

Thanks nbt – we hadn’t thought of that. It would just about in the space, although it would need disguising (visible from the front of 2 houses).

The main problem is that we really don’t have much of a use for the water outside the 2 or 3 really hot weeks of the year.

phead
    Free Member

I wonder if you can bury an IBC, not the smallest of thing to leave lying around.

AlexSimon

It’s been a while since I posted, but here is an update on the shed build. I took a bit of a break from it over the summer as we wanted to make the most of the good weather so went cycling/canoeing/walking/on holiday on weekends instead.

Anyway – thought I should bring anyone up to speed who was following it previously.

First thing to do was an expensive mistake.
    I ordered toughened glass at the same size as the openings. Then realised I should have a 3mm gap all around. Oops. I now have 4-panes of glass for my next project! Couldn’t afford toughened second time around, so just put normal glass in. It’s high enough for regs, but where it is on the slope, I’m still slightly worried by balls/rocks/etc bouncing down the banking.

Anyway – nailed (hidden where possible) in some simple beading from the larch and siliconed the glass in. (I used stainless nails outside).

AlexSimon

Then finished cladding the window wall up to the roof:

At some point, I need to make some capping pieces to cover the window beading. I’ll keep them natural colour.

fasthaggis

Nice work Alex.

Should be able to start the cladding on my shed tomorrow .

is excited 🙂

AlexSimon

Cheers fashaggis! After the framing, the cladding is the most rewarding (i.e. fast and productive) bit!

Then it was on to the door.
    I was a bit scared of this.

We decided to go for a plain external firedoor as it’s cheap and I didn’t like most door mouldings for this project. Pretty heavy things though!

Our opening was bigger than the door size, so I hung the door on the stud at the hinge-side and built the frame around the lock and top (actually the top is still to do).

So with some help from my youngest son, it took a day to chisel out the hinges, lock, handles, etc:

Next day we fitted a threshold (which is a bit of a shame as it means I can’t sweep out the door any more).

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It looks great. The man who never made a mistake, never learned anything. Keep the updates coming.

Saccades
    Free Member

Loving this thread. Been great to see all the build elements.

I’m firming up the plans for my shed (although see-sawing between Pent or Apex roof) and was wondering which tools you used the most.

I have a full range of hand tools but wondered if it was worth getting a circular saw and/or a nail gun (then do I need a compressor?). Is there anything else that has been invaluable?

I’ve an existing slab, but it’s a little low so I’m going to build a single block mini wall to raise the weather board up and away from the ground. Then 2×4 walls with 2×6 rafters, using breather felt instead of house wrap and OSB lined (I want it for storing homebrew as well as shed stuff). No idea on the roof material or cladding as of yet. Barrel board appeals along with something a bit sexier as it’ll be right in view of the house all the time. I’ll be lighting from the backside (sunside) I think, local salvage place has a massive selection of thin double glazing I’m going to use.

I do like the contrast on the charred wood – local woods has a charred monument that looks a bit green with mould be still tough as after 8 years or so.

robdob
    Free Member

Could you clad the fire door the same as the rest of the shed so it disappears a little?

AlexSimon

Saccades – I ummed and ahhed over the nailgun too. In the end I screwed all the 2×4 and predrilled/nailed all the cladding. I’m glad I went this route. The nailgun would have been a faff and expensive.

It would have probably saved me a day, but would have potentially lead to splits in the timber over time.

The circular saw is a complete must though. Obviously I have an angled wall, and custom lengths, but I’d recommend one even with a standard shed. Mine has been brilliant:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-rage3-s-210mm-sliding-compound-mitre-saw-240v/60839

Just had to get it all square before I started (lots of adjustment available on this model).

AlexSimon

robdob – Member

Could you clad the fire door the same as the rest of the shed so it disappears a little?
    I could. I also considered making my own T&G door out of the larch, but ultimately, I think I’ll quite like a painted door (although my wife disagrees with my choice of colour so far).

AlexSimon

After the door, came the front cladding.

I’ll add the jamb later – as a separate piece.
    Still deciding on whether the door jamb should be charred or not. Leaning towards doing it – I think I still have just enough gas!

Those white things under the roof at the right are how I’m going to fill in the eaves. It’s the roofing material. I think I’ll just silicone them in. These are just test pieces placed in.

mogrim

Isn’t that normal glass a bit more of a security risk? Great shed, though – wish I could build something like that!

AlexSimon

mogrim – Member

Isn’t that normal glass a bit more of a security risk? Great shed, though – wish I could build something like that!
    Maybe – although my understanding it that toughened is still smashable – it just doesn’t create sharp edges. I haven’t direct experience though.

My house is pretty tiny (70sqm for family of 4), but at least we’ve got a little bit of outdoor space (albeit a bit gloomy).

Saccades
    Free Member

Right, that’s the Xmas pressie off the missus sorted and there appears to be a screwfix 2 minutes walk from my old mans place.

Result.

Time isn’t really an issue with my build, I’m to be made redundent and I’ve loads of holiday to use up, so I’m roughly planning either this coming summer or 2015 to get a quality shed built whilst money isn’t an immeadiate issue. Then cycle ireland top to bottom, then panic.

I’ll use the mitre on future stuff, whereas I doubt I’d need a nail gun again but like you umming a bit.

mogrim

Maybe – although my understanding it that toughened is still smashable – it just doesn’t create sharp edges. I haven’t direct experience though.

Good point, hadn’t thought of that!

AlexSimon

I’m roughly planning either this coming summer or 2015 to get a quality shed built whilst money isn’t an immeadiate issue. Then cycle ireland top to bottom, then panic.

I like your style 🙂

AlexSimon

Last update for now (hopefully a little more progress over the weekend).

We want to destroy the old shed as it’s taking up room and everything in it is getting damp now, so we switched focus to getting the floor done so we could put some shelves in.

Sanding half the floor at a time so we can put a couple of coats of OSMO Polyx oil on it.
    A friend mentioned that he didn’t think it would be the best floor finish for a shed, but we’ve got some. Any other opinions?

tymbian
    Free Member

Just done this with my build ( summerhouse ) and will put a hard-wearing clear-coat on afterwards.

Instead of pre-drilling my external cladding I used some these, super quick and you can fix close to the end without fear of splitting the wood.

tymbian
    Free Member

Picture of the floor…sanded – osmo -sanded Osmo….awaiting hardcoat.

Saccades
    Free Member

I love spax stuff, their general purpose 4″ screws are ace.

I’d put a hard coat over the oil to reduce stains sticking, ronseal diamondcoat works well on the steps/handy surface height thing I have.

AlexSimon

So even though OSMO is a wax finish, other things go over the top ok?

tymbian
    Free Member

should do. I’ll let you know on monday.

AlexSimon

I might have to do it tomorrow anyway.
    BTW – that’s an impressive khazi tymbian 😉

rp16v
    Free Member

Such a awsome project I have one summerhouse that was here when we first moved in and a basic shed that’s falling apart I’d love to build another larger shed in the space given when it collapses but I’m in a rented flat prob going to be here for another few years yet so may take project under way

AlexSimon

Thanks for the nice comments folks. I think the end is in sight!
    (maybe)
    (already thinking of next project)

faz083
    Free Member

Remember reading this months and months ago. It looks great! Well done!

AlexSimon

faz083 – Member

Remember reading this months and months ago. It looks great! Well done!
    Rub it in why don’t you! 🙂
    It’s now 18 months since I first hatched the plan, and about 10 since we started the foundation.

Funny thing is I can see the next project taking even longer!

granny_ring

Not read this thread for a while, good work sir!
    Good effort with the roof, how much do those panels work out at?

AlexSimon

granny_ring – Member

Not read this thread for a while, good work sir!
    Good effort with the roof, how much do those panels work out at?
    It’s pretty expensive.
    This was 16mm and with all the accessories (glazing bars, edging, buttons, tape, etc) worked out at about £380.

The actual sheets were £242.

3 off 4m x 1045mm
    1 off 3m x 1045mm
    1 off 2.5m x 1045mm

Glazing bars £81

All from http://www.capb.co.uk

granny_ring

You sure it’s from there? 😉

Have gone with ply and felt for mine but will give this a thought next time round.

AlexSimon

oops http://cabp.co.uk/

I can see why everyone goes with ply and felt. Plastic was a complete pain to install. It’s still causing minor problems now (we installed on a hot day and it’s now about 4mm shrunk per m width). The main joints are fine (designed to allow for it), but some of the capping has opened up to reveal ugliness.

It also took us 3 days in install (including rafters) – whereas felt would have taken 1-1.5. A lot of this was due to the angled wall though.

Now it’s in I know I’d miss the light though.

st

You could always apply a security film to the glass. It’ll hold the pieces together if a pane is smashed and should slow down the removal of the glass.

AlexSimon

Yes, st – that’s worth exploring. How transparent are they?

AlexSimon

Some help required.
    Wondering about ventilation/airflow/etc.

Do I need to actively create some vents?
    I have the ability to completely seal the shed, but I don’t know if this is a wise thing to do.
    Obviously at times, there will be wet bikes in there.

What to do?
    Is the bare timber cladding enough ‘breathing’ to mean I don’t need anything?

granny_ring

I haven’t got that far with mine yet, managed to cock up the felt roof somewhere and have a small leak which is delaying the inside from moving on with painting/varnishing the floor and insulating until that’s fixed. 🙄

Get what you’re saying about ventilation, not sure what’s the best thing to do. After asking on here I used a breathable membrane with one inch batten to leave an air gap behind the feather edge boarding so plenty of ventilation there but inside the shed is pretty much draught free.
    Interested in what those in the know suggest on what’s needed too.

AlexSimon

Bump – any help on ventilation?

AlexSimon

Bump
    I might get chance to work on the shed tomorrow, so any pointers on the ventilation thing would be great, ta.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 260 total)

The topic ‘Shed build – things I’m learning.’ is closed to new replies.