Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • sheared bolt in the steerer tube, Advice req’d
  • stealfwayne

Just before i left for wales this weekend, i managed to sheer the bolt from the steerer tube into the star fangled thingy. My LBS is saying that it could cost upwards of £100 and no guarentees. I have never taken out the forks just changed the stem. It was slighlty rusty when i took off the top cap, and was very dissappointed to see this as i am pretty careful when cleaning (always by hand)
    I have a 2007 stumpy expert.

Is what they are saying correct, could it cost me a Oner to repair?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just bash the sfn further down and fit a new one above it. You might even be able to bash it right out the bottom of the steerer depending on the fork

Junkyard
    Free Member

hit it in to your steerer till it is fairly low down and then install another star fangles above … no need to remove it

woody2000

What TJ says. V. surprised they haven’t suggested it TBH, or am I? 😕

cynic-al
    Free Member

what they said.

And new LBS, they are having a laugh.

Richie_B

Your best off knocking the old nut right out of the base of the steerer (thick bit of dowel & a hammer). New star nut, bolt and top cap (if needed) about £5

dave_aber
    Free Member

£100 FFS ??

You need to find another LBS that can be trusted. As TJ says, knock the SFN down the steerer, and fit a new one.

On some steerer tubes, the bottom end inside diameter is smaller than the top, so you can’t bash the old SFN right out. Not a huge problem in itself, depends how you fit the next SFN.

You can carefully tap these in – making sure they stay central. I use a length of M6 threaded rod with a nut and big washer on the bottom end to draw them in slowly – this keeps them central and level as they go in. Surely a decent LBS will for a new SFN for around a tenner?

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you really waned to remove it, assuming the steerer is flared at the crown and it wouldn’t bash through, drill the trangs of the SFN and colapse the thing. Bike shop is having a laff!

uplink
    Free Member

My LBS is saying that it could cost upwards of £100 and no guarentees

do yourself a favour & never go there again – they are attempting to scam you

RudeBoy
    Free Member

My LBS is saying that it could cost upwards of £100 and no guarentees

What you should do, is get a sample of yer urine, in a jar, take it in to them, plonk it down on the counter and say ‘there you go’.

£100, to drill/bash a SFN out? That is well out of order. I think you should name and shame.

I’ve had exactly the same thing. I drilled it out. It takes ages, but works. Or just bash it down.

£100? Shooduv punched them in the face.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

£100 and no guarentees

you mean they’re offering to charge you £100 for an unknown outcome ? ‘No guarantees’ seems to imply they don’t know if they can get it out, or if the fork will be destroyed, or what. Avoid!

£100? Shooduv punched them in the face.

I don’t advocate violence. Should’ve laughed in their faces :o)

spooky_b329

and don’t overtighten the new one. only needs to be nipped up enough to stop any play in the headset, typically a half or whole turn after you feel some resistance.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’ve found a decent way of getting the old SFN out – if you drill out the inner threaded part of the SFN (don’t even try with the spring steel that grips the steerer) you can actually knock the middle part out between the two flanges of the SFN – then you can flip each one around a bit seperately and get them out with a screwdriver. Takes about 5 mins.

Either that or knock it further in and then find another bike shop to frequent.

stealfwayne

Hey all, thanks for the pointers. As for the shop, this was without looking at it, they said bring it in, but depending on any damage, age etc it ‘could’ cost £100. I will take a gentle hammer to it later this week, then let you all know what the outcome is…… Thanks again.

sq225917
    Free Member

They are just covering their ass in case you need a new steerer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘sheared bolt in the steerer tube, Advice req’d’ is closed to new replies.