• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Sharing GoPro content without Youtube/vimeo ruining it?
  • rossburton
    Free Member

Hi,

So I got a GoPro Session this month and am having great fun making videos of my knees when riding. However when doing an edit I have on disk a good quality 720p 50fps video which I upload to youtube or vimeo… and they ruin it. Where previously there were no artefacts, there’s suddenly are. I’m using GoPro Studio right now, so I’d have thought this would have done The Right Thing, but then again it takes a h264 720p video from the camera and for some reason has to convert it to… h264 720p before I can edit it.

Does anyone have a top tip for generating videos that YouTube and Vimeo don’t destroy on upload?

acidtest
    Free Member

It sounds like it’s youtube and vimeo can’t handle the bitrate. You’ll need to convert the files and lower the bitrate to around 6000-10000, it’s something you might need to experiment with. You can use gopro studio for this. Nothing is ever simple!

whitestone
    Free Member

Not had a problem with Gopro and Vimeo. What are your settings and what does other content off Vimeo look like? If other content has artifacts then it could be your connection.

Can you provide a link to one of your videos so others can check.

sharkattack

I have the same problem if you look on Youtube for GoPro workflow or similar you find loads of tips for maximising quality. Most of them recommend not using any GoPro software. You can’t get around the heavy compression.

rossburton
    Free Member

The file that GoPro Studio generates on disk is fine, its when Youtube and Vimeo “convert” it that it goes wrong. 20MBit ADSL, and other “pro” content on Youtube etc (Danny Mac etc) is fine.

Ewan
    Free Member

Youtube generally (well it did a year ago) provide a low res version first before providing full quality some hours later.

The pro channels have greater control over bit rate etc that you tube uses than consumer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Sharing GoPro content without Youtube/vimeo ruining it?’ is closed to new replies.