Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 184 total)
  • Share your tales of parking madness
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Inspired by a local couple who have purchased two extra cars, one for each side of their driveway, in order to ‘protect’ said driveway – on which his and her regular cars are parked – and the bit of road in front of their house. Yes, that’s right. They have bought, taxed and insured two extra cars in order to protect ‘their’ bit of road. These cars have never moved.

There must be more like them.

peterfile
    Free Member

Quick! While there’s still time to edit!!!! 🙂

matt_outandabout

😯

matt_outandabout

(Seeing as neighbor is a forumite, and our car is regularly parked on the street not the drive, I am backing out this thread… 😆 )

blurty

Some **** once built a 2′ high drystone wall around my MG; I had apparently parked in ‘Their’ spot.

GrahamS

These cars have never moved.

Isn’t there some legal requirement that the cars are actually used and not just “abandoned” on public land?

fasthaggis

I once reserved a space for a jug.
    It was ideal for ewer parking. 😉

wwaswas

Torn between letting the thread disappear off the front page by not posting and hoping that the OP comes back to it within the edit window.

[edit] phew.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Why does it need an edit?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Inspired by a local couple who have purchased two extra cars, one for each side of their driveway, in order to ‘protect’ said driveway – on which his and her regular cars are parked – and the bit of road in front of their house. Yes, that’s right. They have bought, taxed and insured two extra cars in order to protect ‘their’ bit of road. These cars have never moved.

And your point is ?

Its there choice and money to do this cars are parked there legally so what’s the issue ? Nothing to stop you doing the same…

Next ! 🙄

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sorry, spotted it. Your (sic) all very critical.

(He did it).

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks peterfile 🙂

That was close

*wipes brow*

GrahamS

This was the scene when I got to work a couple of weeks ago:

(license plate redacted for obvious reasons).

Turns out it was the director of the company who thoughtfully wanted to free up some car parking spaces for other people because the car park was really full.

The irony of blocking the parking intended for the people who didn’t bring cars was apparently lost on him. 😆

hels
    Free Member

What a dick. I’d have chained my bike to his car.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As with a fair few others here I’m sure, I live on a Victorian terrace, usual thing, cars parked parallel to carriageway all down two sides, with room for only one to drive the length. I shit you not but there isn’t a day that goes by that somebody (of course, yes, the same dozen or so cars, eternally) hasn’t parked like a ****. I wouldn’t even know where to start.

wwaswas

Next they’ll be joining the two canopies to give themselves covered parking 🙂

monkeychild
    Free Member

Nowt queer as folk,especially when it comes to parking.

jambalaya
    Free Member

That’s bonkers !

Come on guys spill the beans, what was the posting error ?

fasthaggis

Lifer
    Free Member

unfitgeezer – Member

“Inspired by a local couple who have purchased two extra cars, one for each side of their driveway, in order to ‘protect’ said driveway – on which his and her regular cars are parked – and the bit of road in front of their house. Yes, that’s right. They have bought, taxed and insured two extra cars in order to protect ‘their’ bit of road. These cars have never moved.”

And your point is ?

Its there choice and money to do this cars are parked there legally so what’s the issue ? Nothing to stop you doing the same…

Next !

You are his neighbour and I claim my €7.

I think it falls under ‘parking madness’ regardless of any other judgement.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Illegal use of an apostrophe. In the title. Pretty disgraceful.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

You are his neighbour and I claim my €7.

I think it falls under ‘parking madness’ regardless of any other judgement.

I bet I’m not I win the 7euros !

maccruiskeen

Thanks peterfile

That was close

*wipes brow*

The damning evidence is still in the URL 🙂

GrahamS

Its there choice and money to do this cars are parked there legally so what’s the issue ?

Would you be as happy if they had done it with anything other than a car?

Like maybe had two skips permanently deposited there? Or maybe just a couple of sheds?

thegreatape
    Free Member

The damning evidence is still in the URL

I’ve made a full and frank admission. As long as it’s right now, that’s what matters.

Onzadog
    Free Member

No one has a right to park on the highway unless there is a traffic regulation order permitting it. Anything else is just tolerated.

fasthaggis

OP

Was there any grass verge involved in the parking area ?

🙂

GrahamS

I’ve made a full and frank admission. As long as it’s right now, that’s what matters.

You did the crime, you do the time. This isn’t Rastamouse you know.

Cougar

As with a fair few others here I’m sure, I live on a Victorian terrace, usual thing

My neighbours have to park directly outside their own houses, meaning that just over half the roadside is full of parked cars and the rest is gaps with enough space between a given pair to almost-but-not-quite get another car in.

maccruiskeen

What odd about the people in the OP – if they didn’t bagsey the spaces in front of their house in the way they have at least some of the time they’d have free parking space in front of their house- available to them as much as anyone else. They’ve gone to this effort and expense to that they never have space in front of their house, they don’t inconvenience anyone more than they inconvenience themselves. The intent is selfish but the result is completely self defeating.

monkeychild
    Free Member

There’s only one thing for it

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Just get a couple of mates, a trolley jack and move the cars closer together so they can’t exit/enter their drive.

Keep doing this until they crack under the stress of their ‘possesed’ cars

richmtb

My office has about 1000 people in it and parking for 200 cars. As a result the streets nearby fill up pretty quickly in the mornings. They are just residential streets with no parking restrictions.

This pisses of some of the locals no end and the lengths some of them take to reserve “their” bit of road is something else. Cones are the most common, wheelie bins in the road is another. Some even make up official looking signs “Private parking residents only” Er no it isn’t!. Some people in the office have had their cars damaged or their wiper blades stolen.

I’ve moved cones a few times. I was confronted once:

“You can’t park there”
    “Yes I can”
    Was the extent of the argument

thegreatape
    Free Member

OP

Was there any grass verge involved in the parking area ?

I’ve not looked at that thread yet. I take it it’s worth a visit?

You did the crime, you do the time. This isn’t Rastamouse you know.

But, but…. I made a bad ting good?

hels
    Free Member

The parking lot where I work just now fills up early. There are surrounding residential streets, which I almost never have to use thankfully. Last week, a chap was standing outside his house supervising, so I politely gave his driveway plenty of clearance. He approached me and asked that I move forward a metre or so, as “if you leave even a couple of inches somebody will park there”. So this guy, who to his credit was very polite and respectful, stands outside and guards his driveway every morning. Fun life !

sazter

Someone once parked across my drive, so I had to perform an interesting manoeuvre involving a 3 point turn and drive down a section of pavement and grass to exit via the neighbours drive, the other person in the house contacted the police to get the car moved and they said there was nothing they could do as I was out of the drive, they can only remove them if they have blocked us IN, not OUT… crazy.

GrahamS

Some even make up official looking signs “Private parking residents only” Er no it isn’t!.

Yeah I had that in Edinburgh once – nice BLOCK CAPITALS note left on my car saying that they knew I didn’t live on that street, I wasn’t entitled to park there and if I did it again they would inform the police. 😕

No formal parking restrictions posted obviously – just some self-entitled curtain twitcher that thinks they own the road.

I was quite pleased when the council made it all Permit Parking and all the residents had to fork out for annual permits 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s the next village so it doesn’t put me up or down. My mate lives opposite them. Apparently someone visiting him once parked in their space, overlapping the drive entrance by a few inches. They came tearing out, her with a bandage on her arm, declaring that he had to move his car immediately due to a medical emergency. His visitor did so, then they drove off glaring at him, in their car off the driveway. Then round the block and back to their house, parking in ‘their’ space. 🙂 I thought people like this only existed on the telly.

towzer

when I worked in Larndan (well Twickenham) in the 80s I used to buy maxis with a years mot and towbar for £300. I used to steet park wherever I could.
    in maxi 1 I came out to find where I’d parked had been retarmaced and the car was awol, luckily this old codger said – it’s down there son, it was the only car so they just moved it so they could get a bit more done today

in maxi 2, hideous winter day, dark, pissing and howling, ran out head down, opened door and jumped in and started it up – it was only when I grabbed the furry covered steering wheel that I realized it wasn’t my car, mine was 2 cars up …..

lemonysam
    Free Member

In one house I had I was next to a nursery, and just up from a busy commuter station, so at certain times of day, parking was difficult. Sometimes you had to park further up the street where the houses on our side had drives and were set back and up from the road there was one woman who saw my housemate doing this and told us that we couldn’t park there because it ruined her view*. I pointed out why we were leaving it there, that her garden had a 6ft wall topped with a 5ft hedge and there was no way that you could see the car from the house even without leaning out of the attic windows but this didn’t satisfy her. She started putting rubbish on his windscreen after a while.

*a spectacular panorama of the 70s semi facing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘Share your tales of parking madness’ is closed to new replies.