Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • Sharadopa
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35750285

Crikey.

“I didn’t know….”

ORLY?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

It’s a slow news day story

scaredypants

wish they’d ban shrieking rather than just drugs 🙁

Pigface
    Free Member

Meh

Northwind

Professionals really ought to be looking out/have people looking out for this sort of thing but tbh it’s not hard to see how you overlook it… If you’ve been on medication (*) for a long time it just becomes background, you never really think about it.

(*) Who knows if it was being taken for a health concern or for performance enhancement. Apparently it improves sexual performance in male boars though, so I’ve just ordered some.

scaredypants

boars

yoar spellen’s rong

Kuco

Watched the live feed earlier, not as if she was taking performance enhancing drugs to better herself but a medication she’s been taking for the past 10 years for medical reasons. She admits she should have looked at the updated list but didn’t.

scaredypants

not as if she was taking performance enhancing drugs to better herself but a medication she’s been taking for the past 10 years for medical reasons

Oh, of course – nobody thinks she (or that other one that got done recently) was taking it to increase performance

slackalice
    Free Member

Modern sport. They’re all at it, all of them. At the same time.

I do get rather amused at the “I didn’t know” narrative, or more specifically, ” I didnt click on the link”. FFS, she’s a very highly paid professional, it’s her business to know exactly what she’s allowed or not allowed to ingest. Pathetic reasoning.

Ban her from the planet and the shrieking.

zippykona

Probably had a motorised tennis bat as well.

chewkw
    Free Member

I want to see mutants in all sports … 😛

I mean sports should have two categories.

One category that is totally “clean”, assuming it can be.

One category for all forms of super doper performance enhancing drugs. Let them consume all the drugs they want and see them high like a kite while running 100 metre … 😆 Then see them drop dead afterward. 😛

csb

Convenient that she’d been prescribed this drug for 10 years and as well as helping whatever condition she has, it also happened to have performance enhancing properties.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

It’d be great if Tim Henman turned out to have been cheating yet a tidal wave of performance enhancing drugs couldn’t make him win..

chewkw
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Member
    It’d be great if Tim Henman turned out to have been cheating yet a tidal wave of performance enhancing drugs couldn’t make him win..

He is that bad at his game eh … 😆

Northwind

You’re mean, scaredy.

scaredypants

You’re mean, scaredy.

Deep down, we bullies just want to be loved 🙁

fatmax

I always fancied her until I read that she’s a six-toed freak!

DrJ

Maria, if you’re upset and need comforting, just drop me a mail. Address in profile.

servo
    Free Member
    Klunk
    Free Member

she’s probably only really worried about her sponsorship and any claw back clauses.

hels
    Free Member

And Dr J summarises why I don’t feel sorry for Sharapova, and on International Women’s Day too. She is the “poster girl” for the idea that sportswomen are more valuable for how they look than how well they play sport.

P.S and she is Russian, a country with a great track record for dealing harshly with drug cheats.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Convenient that she’d been prescribed this drug for 10 years and as well as helping whatever condition she has, it also happened to have performance enhancing properties.

This.

FuzzyWuzzy

They did mention on the BBC it’s unlicensed (presumably in the US) so her prescription has it listed under a different name hence her team didn’t make the link, dunno if that’s true or not but at least she’s accepted it’s her fault. Much better than being a **** like Valverde…

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Meldonium

One of Latvia’s biggest exports apparently.

ampthill

Professionals really ought to be looking out/have people looking out for this sort of thing but tbh it’s not hard to see how you overlook it… If you’ve been on medication (*) for a long time it just becomes background, you never really think about it.

No if you’ve been taking it for 10 years your medical team will be keeping an eye on the lists to see if it crops up. I’m not buying that the support team of a professional were outwitted by this change

Just seen a post of Facebook from a friend who is a transplant athlete. She got the same e-mail checked here vast range of medication against it…….

kcr
    Free Member

I want to see mutants in all sports …
    I mean sports should have two categories.
    One category that is totally “clean”, assuming it can be.
    One category for all forms of super doper performance enhancing drugs. Let them consume all the drugs they want and see them high like a kite while running 100 metre … Then see them drop dead afterward.

This brilliant idea gets repeated endlessly. You would presumably have testing to make sure the clean category competitors weren’t cheating, so… we’re back exactly where we started.

I assume Sharapova has been taking this stuff as a legal performance enhancer for 10 years, knew it was on the banned list now, and maybe thought she could risk getting away with it until she retired. First really high profile catch, but she can’t be the only one. Tennis must have a proper scandal waiting to be uncovered

mrblobby
    Free Member

So she’s been taking this from 2006 and it’s only just been picked up by a drugs test? Hmm what does that tell you about testing in tennis? 😐

BigDummy
    Free Member

It has been banned precisely because top athletes have been using it on prescription from their doctors to treat the vast range of otherwise career-ending illnesses that all top athletes with expensive doctors now have.

🙂

kcr
    Free Member

It wasn’t in the banned list, so they wouldn’t have been checking.
    I agree tennis testing has been questionable, though.

Trimix
    Free Member

It would be very interesting to see just what prescription meds athletes are taking.

I would not be surprised if they take loads, whereas the rest of us no pros take nothing at all.

kcal

@mrblobby – read the article, and the posts – it’s been legal until the turn of the year…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

100% her fault but in the grand scheme of things it was banned in December, she has been taking it for 10 years and was caught on her first test. It’s not the greatest doping conspiracy in the world.

epicsteve
    Free Member

So she’s been taking this from 2006 and it’s only just been picked up by a drugs test? Hmm what does that tell you about testing in tennis?

It tells you it wasn’t on the banned list until 2016, perhaps?

rocketman
    Free Member

Who’d have thought a professional sports person would take drugs 🙄

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

11 ATP wins, No 4 in the world, 11.5 million dollars of prize money.

And has beaten Roger Fererer 6 times out of 13 meetings.

Sounds reasonably successful to me, especially considering his physique.

Next you will be impuning Eddie the Eagle…

bombjack
    Free Member

So she’s been competing at the top level whilst on the meds for the last 10 years…
    She as much as admits that it enhanced her performance (hence it now being banned), Drug testing in tennis has been a murky world for a long time (see Conte, Victor.) and TBH I’m surprised more players haven’t failed tests previously.
    Strange how Nike have dumped her, but continue to sponsor Gatlin tho.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It tells you it wasn’t on the banned list until 2016, perhaps?

I’m not going to let facts get in the way of my opinions 🙂

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

She just needs to grow a pair…

…like Serena. 👿

tpbiker
    Free Member

bit silly of her notto know about the rule change, but can’t see how this should reflect badly on the rest of her career thus far.

I’m pretty convinced as others have alluded to that all the top athletes are taking stuff which while while technically legal, definitely gives a perfomance advantage.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

stuff which while while technically legal, definitely gives a perfomance advantage.

I eat food it enhances my performance… If it’s not on the list then take it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Sharadopa’ is closed to new replies.