Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Shand Cycles – well worth a visit.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I worked in an Edinburgh bike shop with Steve Shand back in the 80s. I don’t know what they put in the tea, but each and every one of the guys that worked or hung out there are still riding and loving bikes. Steve’s love for bikes went a little further than most.

Three of us took a spin over to his workshop today out along the Union Canal towpath. As man sheds go it has everything, milling machines, lathes, vices and jigs. Completed frames are immediately dispatched but a couple of show bikes were on display. Steve talked us through the nuances of his designs and construction techniques. Their beauty is in their subtlety, nothing flashy or gimmicky, a rare treat and antidote to today’s mass produced fare.

I left with notions of building my one last do it all bike. It’ll be a no nonsense, straight talking Shand. A lot like it’s maker in a 70s shade of Land Rover light green.

Spin
    Free Member

I like that.

somafunk

From what i’ve seen of shands so far and from reading personal experiences of dealing with them regarding a custom build i am almost certain they will be building me my next frame, a kinda road/cross/tourer do it all frame designed and built for my strange shape. It will have discs, internal cables, rack mounts, mudguard mounts and adaptable dropouts.

However whether or not i will have the ££££ to do this anytime soon is a moot point, but the seed has been planted and currently taking root 😀

shandcycles
    Free Member

Hi MC,

great to see you yesterday. I promise next time we’ll have something other than decaff in the pot!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Shand Cycles – well worth a visit.’ is closed to new replies.