Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Shall I go raw aluminium frame
  • ritchic
    Free Member

Right really stuck on what to do. I’ve got a lapierre spicy that needs freshing up its black at the moment with red hubs bar ends and pivot point washers. So need something to go with those. Do I

A. Raw frame and coloured rear triangle

B. Raw frame and triangle

C. Have everything powder coated

If C needs some ideas on colours. I have been thinking a very light not metallic grey.

_tom_
    Free Member

Raw/polished all over is the best look!

honourablegeorge

RAW

mansonsoul
    Free Member
    ritchic
    Free Member

That’s it then raw it is. Now just to strip it down. Shot blasters then have it lacquered

I_Ache
    Free Member

Go raw.

This has quite a bit of love on here in the past.

P1010834 by i_ache, on Flickr

Gone but not forgotten.

kayak23

Raw

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Don’t get it lacquered. The whole point of raw is that it’s, well, raw. The lacquer will go rubbish when it gets scratched, a raw frame can be cleaned up. The aluminium will be fine.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I agree, don’t lacquer it. Mine was fine for over two years I just gave it a quick rub down with wire wool when it came to sell it.

I wouldn’t get it blasted either, it can pit the frame if the media is too hard. Get it dipped, all the definition in the welds will still be there then.

_tom_
    Free Member

If you want to get it properly shiny give it a polish with some Brasso. I’ll post a pic of my Bullit when I get home, got it shone up a treat!

ritchic
    Free Member

I rite. I thought having it lacquered was a must. But then again if its not just left in the shed for months dirty an wet it’s not really a problem is it. What costs are involved in dipping any ideas

kayak23

I got mine dipped for 25 notes cash to the man.

disco_stu
    Free Member

What man would I ask to do the dipping? Powder coaters?

coogan
    Free Member

Raw. And raw only. Do NOT polish it. Polished bikes look gash.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Raw can look good.

Egg yolk yellow with black decals

ritchic
    Free Member

I agree I won’t be polishing it. But I’m bit worried if its not lacquered the metal may stain after a while an start lookin tatty

scar4me
    Free Member

Go full raw light brushed look.
    No polish, just a bit of clear laquer after.

Scar

ritchic
    Free Member

Yeah I was thinking slightly brushed look and apparantly u can have powder coated clear. Not 100% on that though

hora
    Free Member

Go somewhere that can dip it. Don’t be tempted with a blast. It pits the surface and is a real bugger to polish/sort.

Dipped and its ready to…leave.

I think if you do go raw – decals MUST be factory and its really difficult to get them right otherwise. If you use non-OEM decals its easier to put them on a re-sprayed frame (IMO).

I_Ache
    Free Member

It will be fine. Like I said mine lasted over two years with no love and it looked fine. If it ever dulls from what you like just rub it down with wore wool or a scotch brite pad.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve always wanted to have a raw alu FS bike with no decals.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Shall I go raw aluminium frame’ is closed to new replies.