Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • shadow mechs ..anyone else hate them?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

got an slx groupset. I’m a pretty competent fettler. that rear mech has been a pain to adjust …more difficult to align by eye and the b tension screw doesn’t seem to be able to bring the guide pulley as close as normal. thinking of changing back to older style.
    anyone else had the same experience?

foureyes
    Free Member

not had an issues with mine yet but its on a bike which doesnt see much real weather so its leading a charmed life.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Nope – they’re just as simple to set up as the older style! They do look flimsier but I doubt they are – if a rock or a twig decides to break your mech it’ll break it.

erny
    Free Member

No problems here with mine,they are on both my bikes and found them just as easy to set up

tim41
    Free Member

A twig went through mine and it snapped off at the feeble mounting plate – looks like a part designed to break, but spares don’t seem to be available.
    First mech I’ve ever broken. Not impressed. Won’t be getting another shadow.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Piece of p!ss to set up and the stronger spring means they’re less affected by dirty and gritty cables.Gets rid of that last loop of cable too. I think they’re a vast improvement on the older XTs.

knott4me
    Free Member

no problems ,i will admit they look a little flimsy & i think to look at it looks a little more difficult than a std one to set up but have a play its a doddle.

not sure about the spares problem tim contact a decent bike shop no problems with spares for this mech.

timraven

Seems to be ok after a year of use. I find if you get the larger two gears operating right everything else works fine.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Like everyone else I was caught out by the marketing b/s that was HT II so I decided not to buy into the shadow mech. Standard mech’s all still going strong…

Swayndo
    Free Member

I have 2 on the go. I smacked one off a rock on a corner in Coire Lair the other weekend and the mech got pushed into the spokes and locked up the rear wheel. I stopped, unhooked it and to my surprise it was totally unaffected as was the mech hanger. I carried on. Great things and definitely a big bonus if you ride a lot of rock.

coatesy
    Free Member

If you’re having trouble with the B-tension it may be worth checking two things, is the final section of outer cable long enough to let the mech rotate forward, and is the part that bolts to the dropout fitted properly, as they sometimes rotate the mech backwards when tightened.(Found these faults when building 08 Kona Four Deluxes, every one was the same, may be worth checking yours too if anybody owns one.)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

First mech I’ve ever broken

REALLY ?? They rarely last me more than 6 months before I smash them 🙁 I always carry a spare just in case…

tim41
    Free Member

yep really, never broken a mech before. I do ride singlespeed quite a lot of the time to be fair though. 🙂

brakeswithface

I love my slx shadow rear mech, found it a doddle to get good shifting with full length outers which I attribute to the more direct cable routing – no need for a big loop of cable outer.

aw
    Free Member

Just go single speed…much easier!

Wozza
    Free Member

Yes! Gone back to normal and my brother got a better xmas present this year.

martinxyz
    Free Member

To fit the mech to the hanger is an easy job.. but its not as easy to get right as the older style.a simple mistake can be made. the reason why you are experiencing what you said might be because of this.go through the instructions and you`ll notice something about fixing it to the hanger that might add up.its the only thing i can think of.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘shadow mechs ..anyone else hate them?’ is closed to new replies.