Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • SJS Cycles – anyone used them and what are they like
  • paulneenan76
    Free Member

Hello One and All

Bent the inner and outer cages on the XTM800 derailleur on the FS bike, and whilst I found a good deal to replace the whole mech, I am hoping to resurrect the knackered one by replacing the cages – to move the HT over to 1×11. SGS have them for a total of about £20 so I thought “worth a punt” should the mech body not be FUBAR too.

So, SJS, anyone used and found them ok? http://www.sjscycles.co.uk

cinnamon_girl

Yes, have used them successfully a few times.

snaps
    Free Member

St Johns street cycles – yes pucker bike shop, based in Bridgewater – defo bricks & mortar retailer, been there for years.

singlespeedstu

Great place for picking up bits that no one else seems to stock.

martinhutch

Great for parts like those. Also seem to have the tech docs linked for shimano stuff they sell which is useful.

jimw
    Free Member

yes, they are fine to deal with

qwerty
    Free Member

A+

Onzadog
    Free Member

One of the better, more reliable, more knowledgeable, better stocked shops that I can think of.

jairaj

yep used them a few times for mail order all happened nice and smoothly no problems. Happily use them again.

I find them really good for having stock of little bits and bobs like mech cages that you can’t anywhere else including the distributor.

sturmeyarcher

Yes, they are excellent.

PJay
    Free Member

Aren’t they the shopfront for Thorn Cycles?

I’ve been in in the past and they’ve been fine.

shermer75
    Free Member

Excellent service, incredibly broad range of stock and an invaluable font of knowledge. One of the genuine stalwarts of the bike industry 🙂

tjagain

I had a row with them because they passed my email address onto a thrid party. However thats probably me being an awkward so and so and because of this I won’t use them again. However they do do mail order and without issues apart from the data breach

devash
    Free Member

Used them several times for hub parts, helmet inserts and various other random bits that nobody else seemed to stock. Always a good experience.

ransos
    Free Member

Good for obscure parts and they replaced an item damaged in the post without any arguments.

CraigW
    Free Member

Expensive postage costs, and rather slow service in my experience.

TiRed

A legend in their own lifetime. Great supply of useful stock that nobody else seems to have. They used to have expensive postage, but have changed that now.

My go-to place for hub gears, dynamo lighting and almost anything esoteric.

And yes, it’s a real shop.

aP
    Free Member

Used them for years, they used to have a great paper catalogue…
    Have recently bought dynamo lamps from them and will probably be getting a new SON12 hub from them and potentially a new lamp.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Did they not add 400% to the price of Middleburn stuff when they closed up shop???

fourbanger
    Free Member

Always used to recommend them as they stock everything.

Paid for expedited delivery more than once only for them not to ship it for a couple of days..

And the Middleburn thing…. Still waiting for an email from the owner, when he gets back from the worlds longest bike show.

Try not to use them now, bought my tandem elsewhere.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’ve used them for mail order, and have bought from their shop. I’ll happily buy from them again.

benp1

It’s the sort of shop I’d like to have a wander round in. They have an amazing collection of random useful bits!

Waderider
    Free Member

The best cycle tourists shop in the UK.

goss
    Free Member

The only other alternative to getting the odd bits myself is buying the complete thing to take it apart. SJS is great, mostly got it in stock, reasonable delivery time, fair prices. will buy from them again.

RustySpanner

I wish they’d do a disc version of the Sherpa.
    I’d have bought one otherwise.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Only used them to buy Middleburn bits and service was fine. However the price hike referred to above left a bad taste.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I recommend their “workshop sweepings” offering. A great idea, and got me out of a hole more than once.

bedmaker

Great for finding the oddest chainrings known to man.

singlespeedstu

It’s the sort of shop I’d like to have a wander round in

You’d be dissapointed.
    Just a couple of helpfull people behind a desk.
    Everything must be out the back.

sirromj

A+

So not as good as AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA++++++++++++++AAAAAAAAAAAAA++++++++++++ then?

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Cool thanks everyone. I’ll give them a go.

Now I just need the main part of the mech to be true and not as bent as the cages.

Spin
    Free Member

Expensive postage costs,

2nd that.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Great for obscure bits, like Modolo Dumbo butterfly bars, but equally competitive for tyres and tubes. Postage costs can make them not so competitive for small orders, but well worth having in your browser favourites.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘SJS Cycles – anyone used them and what are they like’ is closed to new replies.