Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Sexism endorsed by singletrackworld
  • teamjellybaby
    Free Member

Hello

It’s good to see that just because I’m a bloke I am expected to pay more for my bike bits, as it appears that having a X,X chromosome is good for money off at cycle surgery as well as free tips and goody bags…. am pretty sure that this is illegal under sexual discrimination as I am expected to pay more for goods and services on the basis of sex. I am really getting miffed with always being discriminated in cycling by being a bloke, from ‘women’s only events’ to women paying less for race entry. I am all up for encouraging women into biking but why is it always be by using economic drivers or sex exclusive events, we should all cycle together 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’d get the kettle put on only she hasn’t finished the ironing yet.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My, but you’re a happy little troll camper, aren’t you?

Cycle Surgery run these events as many women feel uncomfortable in what is almost always a very male-dominated environment. The events are great fun, and do a great deal to promote cycling for women. That’s a good thing.

Oh, and there’s cake and fizzy pop as well! Awesome!

Now, stop whining, get back under your bridge and think of something better to troll about.

allthepies
    Free Member

teamjellybaby
    Free Member

I’m not a troll, I just think its a fundamental wrong to be discriminated against just because you happen to be the wrong sex. I personally can’t think of any women that would be scared of going into a bike shop, as although they have mainly male staff, they are still people and there to help.

Jamie
    Free Member

donsimon
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that dudes and dudettes can go to Cycle Surgery whenever they want?
    Here is a special event for dudettes only and this is sexist, no?
    It’s only sexist if you want an event for dudes only, isn’t it?
    Small pecker?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m not a troll,

Interesting forum history you have, then…

hels
    Free Member

Well if you aren’t a troll then next time insist on paying the Barber £30 for taking half an inch off the ends. It’s only fair.

crikey
    Free Member

How long have you thought you were the ‘wrong sex’ for? It’s a complicated issue is gender, and I’m surprised more people don’t suffer with identity problems like you do.

allthegear
    Free Member

The Equalities Act forbids discrimination against “protected characteristics”, which are defined as age, sex, gender identity, sexuality, religion and one or two others I can’t remember.

Whilst it is against the law to discriminate against the “oppressed” in these groups, it is not against the law to “positively discriminate” by, say, only allowing gay people into a gay club or only women into a women-only event.

It’s just the way it is (thank goodness)

Rachel

julianwilson
    Free Member

Mrs j is pretty fast and has graced a dozen more podiums than anyone else I ever ride with. She knows her way round a bicycle and a tool kit, and is QOM on strava all over the place.

But she wears floaty dresses and little shoes when she is not on a bike and the level of condescension she gets when she walks into a bike shop at the wrong time is hilarious. My personal favourite being the guy in the local enormo-brand-store who looked her up and down and suggested some nice shoes for spinning classes when she went in to buy some £100 disco slippers for racing in.

There is a girl-only downhill race soon at Hamsterly iirc. Personally I think it’s great. And girls, Gawton Gravity Hub and Andy the new owner of Dartmoor Cycles have a big thumbs up from mrs J: recently organised a free (they got some kind of grant for it apparently) DH skillz day for ladies only, and Andy couldn’t have been more friendly (in a totally normal non-pervy way!) when she nipped in the shop afterwards.

project
    Free Member

Team jelly baby, what you say is perfectly true, Cycle surgery are using feminism as a unique way of selling and approaching women to get into cycling, british cycling has the same so does Sustrans,who both organise ladies only rides, and also Bikemagic has its own part of the forums.

Some ladies feel uncomfortable for whatever reason with men, and some just dont fancy men, and like to be surrounded by like minded ladies.

Just perhaps if you want a goodie bag or freebies and a discount, turn up at a cycle surgery in drag, who knows you might even meet a nice lady or man.

cinnamon_girl

Yeah, it’s all pretty patronising for us hardcore ladies. 😉

Seriously, why not e-mail them and express your displeasure?

donsimon
    Free Member

Mrs j is pretty fast and has graced a dozen more podiums than anyone else I ever ride with. She knows her way round a bicycle and a tool kit, and is QOM on strava all over the place.

But she wears floaty dresses and little shoes when she is not on a bike and the level of condescension she gets when she walks into a bike shop at the wrong time is hilarious. My personal favourite being the guy in the local enormo-brand-store who looked her up and down and suggested some nice shoes for spinning classes when she went in to buy some £100 disco slippers for racing in.
    Yet, after all this you still refer to her as Mrs j. 😕 😛

julianwilson
    Free Member

She doesn’t like me referring to her as “Snookums” to people she doesn’t know on the internet. 😛

donsimon
    Free Member

We’re all friends here.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

it is not against the law to “positively discriminate” by, say, only allowing gay people into a gay club

How does that work then? Do you have to have a badge stating your sexuality or something?

As a heterosexual man who has been to quite a few gay clubs/pubs, I have never heard of this at all. I’ve certainly never been refused entry(!).

mattsccm
    Free Member

He does have a sort of point. As a male, employed, non gay, non child owning, car driving, motorcyle riding, tax paying, cyclist who shoots things everyone is against me. 😥

teamjellybabies
    Free Member

If shop staff are condescending then don’t use the shop, it surly doesn’t call for a separate night. I also belong to a minority group being gay, but I don’t expect a gay only night in the bike shop caus I’m afraid of going into a bike shop

donsimon
    Free Member

but I don’t expect a gay only night in the bike shop caus I’m afraid of going into a bike shop

Should everyone shelve their fears because you can?
    Why does something that is so unimportant to you carry so much weight?

crikey
    Free Member

Why are you scared of going into a bike shop?

allthegear
    Free Member

Oh sorry – I didn’t mean gay clubs were exclusive, jus tthat they *can* be exclusive if they want to be. As it happens, I’m not a fan of that, either…

Rachel

jamj1974

I can understand group specific shopping events based on pretty much any type – be it gender, sexuality, physical ability etc… I can really see the benefit of making our sport comfortable and unintimidating for all. Offering different prices for exactly the same services or goods from the same vendor on those grounds is wrong though.

As for the £30 haircut argument – simply does not hold water. Both men and women can get cheaper or more expensive haircutting services – paying £30 is your choice based on your preference…

J

spchantler
    Free Member

I am expected to pay more for goods and services on the basis of sex

i know man, i hate it

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why mention you are gay (if indeed you are)? Cycling is traditionally a male dominated sport, whereas being gay is largely irrelevant in cycling.
    Meaning it’s not an issue, before you take umberage.

crikey
    Free Member

I think everyone should get a fair crack of the whip, which is why I’m prepared to give you all horas address.

sweepy
    Free Member

It is discrimination and should be stopped, but we’ll start with the big discriminations first, like women getting lower pay for doing the same work, jobs being traditionally done by females paid less than those done by men, and all the other petty, and not so petty injustices that women have been made to endure through the ages. Then we’ll work our way down to the small stuff like this.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

But how on earth would you be able to exclude non-gay people? Do they have a gaydar scanner on the door? ‘Sorry you’re too straight you can’t come in’.

spchantler
    Free Member

Why mention you are gay (if indeed you are)? Cycling is traditionally a male dominated sport, whereas being gay is largely irrelevant in cycling.

bollocks, how many cyclists can you name that are gay? if it was so irrelevant, how come more don’t come out? we’re nearly as bad as footballers

donsimon
    Free Member

Do they have a gaydar scanner on the door?

Are you saying you don’t know how to tell the difference?
    *points and giggles*

allthegear
    Free Member

mikeconner – I’ve had friends told exactly that. It’s kinda hard trying to prove how gay you are!!!!

convert

Whilst it is against the law to discriminate against the “oppressed” in these groups, it is not against the law to “positively discriminate” by, say, only allowing gay people into a gay club or only women into a women-only event.

It’s just the way it is (thank goodness)

I’ve wondered about this “oppressed” bit before. My wife and I have got membership to the local swimming pool and pay the same per month for full access. One night a week is women only night after 8pm. There is no men only night. Like most working folk evenings are the only time I can swim so that’s quite a chunk of prime time I am disqualified from yet expected to pay the same. I’ve never got around to challenging this but a casual enquiry to duty management got a shrug of the shoulders in a that’s how it is kind of way. Feels like discrimination to me but the “oppressed” bit above says it might not be.

crikey
    Free Member

Or how gay you aren’t; being a boy and a nurse..

allthegear
    Free Member

If you are really interested (and have a *lot* of time to spare) then have a read…

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/contents

DickBarton

I’m lost on this thread…I’m not sure what the issue is as I think the start of the OP’s thread was fine, the middle part was fine and the end was fine but when read together it doesn’t make sense…

(and yes, I’ve edited my post as I’ve no idea what is being ranted about and realised my post didn’t make sense either!)

atlaz
    Free Member

the level of condescension she gets when she walks into a bike shop at the wrong time is hilarious

My best friend’s other half designs and builds industrial diesel engines for a living. I’ve not yet had the pleasure but I’m told watching her dismantle the idiots at the local garages when they say things like “You wouldn’t understand it love” is a treat.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

mikeconner – I’ve had friends told exactly that. It’s kinda hard trying to prove how gay you are!!!!

They’ve been refused entry for being straight? I’m sure that’s illegal! The worst I’ve had is ‘you do know it’s a gay club/pub/night, don’t you?’. Never been a problem. I can see that you might get people unwittingly stumbling into a situation they could find uncomfortable, and i can see that clubs want to avoid potential trouble, but surely no club can discriminate on grounds of sexuality? You could never have a club that banned gay people.

allthegear
    Free Member

mikeconner – no, that’s what I’m trying to explain – it’s NOT illegal to turn away non-gay people from a gay club.

It WOULD be illegal to turn a gay person away from (a theoretical) straight club for being gay.

Rachel

mikeconnor
    Free Member

it’s NOT illegal to turn away non-gay people from a gay club.

Because of their sexuality? really? Surely that can’t be right?

I dont believe it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Sexism endorsed by singletrackworld’ is closed to new replies.