Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Sever's 'disease' – medical / foot people?
  • theotherjonv

Anyone with direct experience or medical/podiatric types who can advise.

My daughter, although only 9 (nearly) is a very promising young basketballer. However these last few weeks she’s been complaining of heel pain after games and training. We’ve ruled out obvious stuff like blisters and shoes too small, etc., and then through a chance conversation with a friend, have been suggested that it is very possibly Sever’s disease. So we have a doctor’s appt for next Monday to check it out and confirm.

I’ve googled (obviously) but wondered if anyone has any experience. I know the simple advise is rest until it gets better, but it’s right in mid season and to miss out on the second half would be very hard for her both from an enjoyment and an experience / development point of view, particularly as she may have chance of playing some U10 Rep games at the end of the season if she keeps playing as she is.

If your child’s been in the same situation did you get good care from the dr, referrals, etc? Is it worth going armed already to see if we can push for an appropriate physio / sports podiatry referral (because she does also have a slightly odd running gait which might need correction with appropriate insoles / heel lifts).

ourmaninthenorth

I had it as a kid. No helpful advice other than using decent footbeds/insoles for sport and rest when it’s agony later.

In my case I grew out of it in my early teens, though still had episodes until my early 20s.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Sever's 'disease' – medical / foot people?’ is closed to new replies.