Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Seve…
  • neallyman
    Free Member

Just read a short statement on the BBC that said Seve’s health is deteriorating. He’s been battling with health problems since having a brain tumour removed in 2008. He’s 54. Not sure how bad he is currently but not good news. Was shocked to see how frail he looked last time he was on the telly.

I know most mountainbiker’s don’t golf, the 2 don’t really seem compatible. But I do both and I know a few others on here do to.

Seve to me is a hero. One of a few sportsmen to genuinely transcend his sport and become more well-known in the mainstream. The majority of people – golfers or non golfers – will know him from his fist name only. I’m sad.

BoardinBob

Very, very sad, and I don’t give a flying f*ck normally about people I don’t know, but he’s a genuine legend.

neil853
    Free Member

also not a golf fan but you can;t ignore his archievements. Sad to say the least.

BigJohn

Oh dear, that sounds very grave.

Isn’t it strange how some people you don’t know somehow manage to find a place in your affections. I guess it’s because he’s just a couple of years younger than me and it was amazing to see him doing so well at a young age.

I was taken to see the Ryder Cup back in the 80s and Seve was playing. I detest golf but I do remember standing behind the line of the ball at one tee when he swung and whacked it down the course with such a display of power and skill, and with such a sweet “pop” that, as I watched the ball just get smaller, very quickly, in a perfect straight line I thought I could almost understand why the sport attracted people.

I couldn’t tell you who else was there that day.

neallyman
    Free Member

Big John, Your post says it all and is kind of what I was getting at. You’re not a golfer but Seve had captured your attention in the way only he could.

I’m 31 and really I missed his prime years in the 80’s, but he was my dad’s hero and I suppose that passed down. During the 90’s he’d faded as a golfer but his legacy was all around. I picked up on the way people talked about him and revered him, then catching video footage of his wins and those Ryder Cups made me realise what he was.

Don’t want to talk in the past tense, premature for that. But I just wanted to get it out there.

Houns

Grew up watching him and wrote to Jim’ll fix it asking to play a few holes with him! He is a sporting hero.

Having lost an Uncle to a brain tumour a few years ago (who was also a very good golfer) I’ve been following Seve’s progress since he was diagnosed

😥

Kevevs
    Free Member

My dad had a large brain tumour removed when he was 53 about 12 years ago. He had to pack in his job and re-adjust to life, and he’s changed somewhat, but thank **** he can still go out everyday on the golf course, now aged 65 (he swore he’d never take up golf). I wonder if he’s been following Seve’s progress? He watches loads of golf. I’ll have to mention it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yep, not a golfist here but Seve was a legend in sport.

Heck, he still is.

allthepies
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound good for him. Always came across as a true gent.

Bear
    Free Member

Childhood hero, I wish him all the best.

theotherjonv

I started playing golf when Seve was at his prime. I used to play the odd round* just like Seve started, with one club (and a putter otherwise you’d get chased off by the greenkeeper) and you have to manufacture shots for the different situations.

* actually I’ve played more than the odd round like Seve, if you’re thinking of the round he played when he won the Open that year where he missed every fairway and saw parts of the course even the secretary didn’t know existed. I’ve played plenty like that but with generally less spectacular recoveries……

stanfree
    Free Member

Not just a Golfing legend , A true sporting Legend. Get well soon Seve .

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Seve to me is a hero. One of a few sportsmen to genuinely transcend his sport and become more well-known in the mainstream. The majority of people – golfers or non golfers – will know him from his fist name only. I’m sad.

+1.

In sport nowadays the term legend is thrown about to easily. This man is the exception.

roundwheels
    Free Member

😥

Hohum
    Free Member

That’s sad to hear.

He always struck me as one of those uber cool Spaniards.

neallyman
    Free Member

The news I was dreading…
    Rest In Peace Severiano.

jools182
    Free Member

R.I.P.

He was such a character that the fact I never had any interest in golf didn’t matter

I still wanted him to win

🙁

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

RIP Seve, great man. Not a golfer but I’ve got a brain tumour so deperately close to home in the MFL household. Will now need to decide how to expose 10 year old son to the news over the next few days. It’s a **** horrible condition – truly hate it and cannot summon much in the way of optimism about it lately anyway, this news just feels like it has kicked me while I’m down.
    Also got a cousin with a malignant brain tumour so the greater MFL family will also be waking up to digest this very sad news.

stanfree
    Free Member

Truly gutted at this news . I stopped playing golf a few years back but It was a young Smiling Seve that encouraged loads of kids back in the day to get an old 7 Iron and a couple of balls and go and have a swing down the local field or park. Tiger Woods for all his millions in endorsments etc will never have what ‘Seve’ did and the world of Sport has lost a legend.
    R.I.P. Seve.

Missingfrontallobe best of luck mate .

spacemonkey

Very sad … Another legend ‘leaves’ us.

RIP Seve.

BoardinBob

Great comment from a friend on Facebook

“I’d rather watch Seve hit an 80 than anyone else hit a 65”

Sums him up perfectly

Houns
    neallyman
    Free Member

Missingfrontallobe, so sorry to hear that but wishing you all the best.

“I’d rather watch Seve hit an 80 than anyone else hit a 65″…is brilliant.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Thanks for your support guys.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Seve…’ is closed to new replies.