Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • setting up roadie h'bars (tops n hoods Q)
  • qwerty
    Free Member

I’ve got Easton EA70 Airwing bars and 105 10spd shifters on my CX bike but can’t seem to get a nice horizontal transition from the tops to the hoods. It means my hands slide down a bit towards the hoods instead of nesting on them. Any tips for set up?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

move the STI up the bars?

RealMan
    Free Member

Bars should be roughly horizontal. So should the start bit of the hoods.

Not a great pic, but you can see I have my bars pointing slightly down, so the hoods are slightly higher to compensate.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

realman that ain’t true, it’s personal choice. Cav has his hoods pointing upwards, yates had his pointing to the floor!

RealMan
    Free Member

This? Looks pretty horizontal to me.

Although I do agree, but horizontal is a good place to start.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Agree that it’s personal choice.

I prefer mine facing slightly upwards so that when I ride grabbing the top of the hoods my wrist/ fore arms rests nicely on top of the handlebars.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

this is cav’s crazy set-up!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I have the tops of the bars and the hoods roughly horizontal. Sometimes i stick a bit of gel padding under the hoods or the bars to fill the hood/bar “valley”.

traildog
    Free Member

And you are talking about a CX bike. Most people I know run them pointing slightly upwards on their CX bikes. But it’s down to personal preference.
    It could well be that the handlebar doesn’t let you have the setup you really want. Different handlebar bends can make the same bike feel very different.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah, this is complex. I had the hoods horizontal and the tops of the bars, but that meant I couldn’t reach the drops well and coudl hardly brake at all whilst on them.

I faffed around for a year or more – now I have the tops of the bars pointing quite downwards (which makes the aero bit almost horizontal and all the logos point forwards – I suspect it’s designed this way) and the hoods almost all the way around the bend. I’ll post pics tonight if you like. It’s a bit like MM’s above. This also shortens the reach when on the hoods and lengthens it on the drops – which you may or may not want.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘setting up roadie h'bars (tops n hoods Q)’ is closed to new replies.