Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Setting up HUDL for daughter help!
  • mudmuncher

Trying to set this up for my daughter before xmas and it’s not proving easy.

I set a profile for her under the parental controls but under this profile I can’t access the google play store. I can do this under my profile and download games but how to I get them over to her restricted profile so she can see them??

nemesis
    Free Member

How old is your daughter?

nemesis
    Free Member

Just seen on your other thread, 7 years old.

Similar to my son and I have Kid Mode (Zoodles) installed – it’s a free app that allows you to control which apps they can use when you turn kid mode on.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zoodles.kidmode&hl=en_GB

mudmuncher

Think I sussed it, can go to users in settings after installed then enable it.

One strange thing is the “Play Games” icon in her profile no longer works – comes up with “Error. This application does not support accounts for restricted profiles”. Is that correct or has something gone wrong. Seemed to work to start with?

mudmuncher

Deleting the profile and starting again seemed to cure it. First time on a Android device and it seems a lot more buggy than my ipad. Hope I don’t end up spending all day on Christmas sorting the flippin thing out

nemesis
    Free Member
    geoffj

Bookmarked. Miss J is getting a HUDL. I’m an apple fanboi and I’m not looking forward to having to wrangle the bloody thing tomorrow.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

set the one up for my son last night. seems pretty straightforward. i like it.

apparently I have to install minecraft tonight.

that daily mash article is proper funny.

nemesis
    Free Member

But with a hint of truth…

those with iPads, is it really surprising that when using an android tablet for the first time, you don’t know exactly how to make it work. I’m pretty techy but I still find some things unintuitive when I use my parents’ ipads just because I’m not used to them. Even more so when trying to use a mac.

mudmuncher

I agree it isn’t going to be as intuitive as my ipad that I’m used to. That aside it seems more buggy – some of the games didn’t work when I installed them. When I’m entering text in some of the fields, the field is partially obscured. the “Play Games” icon starting working initially, stopped working then after setting it up from scratch is ok again.

GeoffJ – You might want to set it up tonight to save disappointment tomorrow. I had to update to the latest version of software and on my slow internet it took over an hour.

geoffj

those with iPads, is it really surprising that when using an android tablet for the first time, you don’t know exactly how to make it work. I’m pretty techy but I still find some things unintuitive when I use my parents’ ipads just because I’m not used to them. Even more so when trying to use a mac.

I’m a dyed in the wool apple fan, but I do dabble with android now and again. I had a moto g phone on test as a possible replacement to my iPhone and although I could do what I needed to, I couldn’t invest the time to make it work as well as as my iPhone. It’s not a criticism of android, it’s just that I got tinkering and fine tuning computers and phones out of my system many moons ago and I have no real desire to re get back into it.

Cougar

I think a big part of it is what you’re used to. My OH’s iPad drives me up the wall, but I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with it, it’s just different.

Unless there’s something inherently wrong with me, of course, which is entirely possible.

geoffj

I think a big part of it is what you’re used to

I think that this is spot on. Being self employed that I can pretty much pick and choose what kit I use.
    God only knows how it would pan out if I had to go back to using windows pcs.

eemy
    Free Member

Has anyone got a step by step on how to have child settings on the Hudl but still allow access to the Play Store to download and update games? I tried what mudmuncher said above but still no joy.

mudmuncher

I dont think this is possible but would also be very interested if anyone has worked it out!

You have to download apps under the main account then enable them in the child settings so they can be seen under the restricted account. Had some issues with them running ok under the main account but crashing in my daughters login. Seems you have to run them a few times in the main account before they work properly in the restricted account.

eemy
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a pain. The time restriction on the child setting looks really good, but if the child settings mean that they cannot go to the Play store to download free (and appropriate ) apps, then it’s not a lot of use.

Hopefully someone will be able to work it out.

molgrips
    Free Member

I set up google accounts for the kids. There are no credit cards attached of course. They can then do everything they need to but won’t spend any money.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Setting up HUDL for daughter help!’ is closed to new replies.