Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Setting up bashguard questions
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Righto, i have an SLX 3×9 crankset on my big bike and i’m off to Spain next month. Wondering about converting to 2×9+bash for the trip so i’m asking if there’s anything i’ve not considered.

36-tooth middle ring should do it i reckon, i’m thinking i just adjust my front mech so that it won’t shift up higher than the middle ring – will i need to reposition the mech?
    Will i need to shorten the chain when going from 44-tooth big ring to 36 tooth middle (if so i need to factor in a new shimano pin – usually use SRAM)
    Anything else?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Wind in stops on mech, shorten chain & bolt bash on

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You don’t need to shorten the chain, just do it for the sake of completion if you feel like it but you won’t even notice.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cool, that’s what i thought (wind in stops etc) but i’d managed to convince myself i was missing something fundamental 🙂

It’s an SLX Shadow (9-speed obviously) rear mech, no problems with leaving the chain the old length with this model?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Think about it – you happily use the chain as it is on the granny and middle rings at present, so simply ignoring the outer ring is all you’re doing with a bash.

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

As said, wind in limit adjuster & bolt on bash.
    I lowered my mech a few mil & shortened my shimano chain, I put a SRAM power link in.
    Also put on a 36t ring & a blackspire stinger on.
    Boom.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Setting up bashguard questions’ is closed to new replies.